New water main installation.

Coops

Hi folks, hope you're all well and keeping out of harms way.

Just bought a new place at auction, needs a bit of TLC, it turns out that a new water inlet has been fitted by the local water utility but never connected up the the house (presumably because the house was unoccupied)  the incoming terminates around 3m from the existing internal stoptap. I intend to make the connection myself, do I need to notify my local water utility company and get the everything inspected or do I just crack on a say nothing?

Cheers 

When you say the incoming terminates 3m from the stop tap what do you actually mean..?

Is the water meter in the garden / street..? 

And is anything connected to the old stop tap on the supplier side or is there no water to the property currently ..??

Yep then just bury it properly (750mm) and bed in sand and then crack on ..!

I’d make sure someone is stood by the stop

tap when it’s turned on then wander round all the outlets and check for leaks as it’s probably an MDPE replacement for lead, and you may find that a combination of better flow and pressure will expose any issues with the old house pipework. 

That looks like it’s going the wrong way... and is very old as that is black and red not brown and blue ..!

Henley should have the feed into it - where is the meter and where does that armoured go to..?

@ProDave one for you ..!!

21 minutes ago, Coops said:

You any good with electrics? Looks like a plan new terminated incoming feed, but it's not doing anything, what do you think?

IMG_20200517_143810.jpg

I am not sure what I am seeing there, other than it looks either unfinished or something that's been abandoned and partly stripped out.

Assuming the source of supply is the Henley block (black rectangle between the switch fuses) then there is nothing going IN to it but two switch fuses going OUT of it.

Left hand switch fuse connects to a steel wire armoured cable going where?

Right hand switch fuse appears to go nowhere.

No sign of an earth connection to the two metal adaptable boxes.

No grommets to protect the cables between the adaptable box and switch fuses. 

Red and black exit separate holes, that can cause eddy currents so should exit the same hole or put a hacksaw cut between the holes.

Single insulated cables so should be in trunking between switch fuses and adaptable box.

1 out of 10. Nothing to do with the DNO I am sure.

Someone crude attempt to feed generator power into the house perhaps? 

I think I have seen enough to suggest you would do well to have a rewire.  There are lots of issues in that picture that give me little confidence that the house does not have lots of other disasters waiting to be found.

At least get an electrician to do an EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report) and fix all the immediate issues, like those redundant cables hanging about around the consumer unit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

At least get an electrician to do an EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report) and fix all the immediate issues, like those redundant cables hanging about around the consumer unit.

Yeah, I'll definitely get it tidied up. Try and get rid of what's not needed.

Seems to be a major shortage of MDPE pipe and fittings, Screwfix and Toolstation both sold out, I'll try some indies tommorrow..assuming this is just pandemic related supply chain issues? Anyone know know which suppliers have it?

23 hours ago, PeterW said:

Yep then just bury it properly (750mm) and bed in sand and then crack on ..!

I’d make sure someone is stood by the stop

tap when it’s turned on then wander round all the outlets and check for leaks as it’s probably an MDPE replacement for lead, and you may find that a combination of better flow and pressure will expose any issues with the old house pipework. 

Hi again Peter

The existing rising main is 22mm copper and is located in the corner of the kitchen, the pipe just disappears into the concrete, god knows where it ends up..Anyway rather than breaking out a section of concrete to a depth of 750mm around the existing rising main, is it possible to bring the new MDPE on the exterior side of the wall and penetrate the wall at say 400mm above floor level, avoiding the ballache of digging out and reinstating the section of floor..i'd need to insulate and/or use an enclosure of some kind.

Cheers again in advance.

3 minutes ago, Coops said:

Hi again Peter

The existing rising main is 22mm copper and is located in the corner of the kitchen, the pipe just disappears into the concrete, god knows where it ends up..Anyway rather than breaking out a section of concrete to a depth of 750mm around the existing rising main, is it possible to bring the new MDPE on the exterior side of the wall and penetrate the wall at say 400mm above floor level, avoiding the ballache of digging out and reinstating the section of floor..i'd need to insulate and/or use an enclosure of some kind.

Cheers again in advance.

Just added a pic of proposed exterior location..

IMG-20200517-WA0000.jpeg

Any chance you can borrow or hire an SDS drill with a BFO 32mm drill bit on it..??

That would be my preference - drill at a shallow angle down the wall and see where it comes out, as you'll have to properly insulate all the pipework and it won't be pretty