Jump to content

Render onto ICF


deuce22
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi.

 

I have been told that you need to use a silicone render on ICF and had somebody give me a quote today.

 

He’s told me that He needs to scratch the surface of the polystyrene, use a bonding base coat called maite and push mesh into it, before giving it a second coat. Then he can give it one coat of parex. After that he sprays something else on top of it to stop mould and waterproof it.
He uses a pump to get the render on and the bags are different to normal, just over £30 compared with around £10. He's quoted me around £70 a metre. At that price, it would cost way to much. What have others used when using ICF?

 

Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, deuce22 said:

Hi.

 

I have been told that you need to use a silicone render on ICF and had somebody give me a quote today.

 

He’s told me that He needs to scratch the surface of the polystyrene, use a bonding base coat called maite and push mesh into it, before giving it a second coat. Then he can give it one coat of parex. After that he sprays something else on top of it to stop mould and waterproof it.
He uses a pump to get the render on and the bags are different to normal, just over £30 compared with around £10. He's quoted me around £70 a metre. At that price, it would cost way to much. What have others used when using ICF?

 

Thanks.

Run a mile 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, nod said:

We make plenty at £50 

As long as the scaffold is up 

 

What brand do you use? This plaster uses Parex, which is around £10 per bag, but said the bags for ICF is over 3x as much per bag.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, willbish said:

 

Cheers @nod ill keep looking then. Scaffold will be up and I can sort the garbage

Sorry to be a bit negative 

But as soon as you mention self build with many contractors They seem to think you have a big pot of money 

 

The only drawback with ICF and render is you really do need to leave the base coat for a couple of days In winter a week 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

so thats another positive for woodcrete blocks --use anything  on it you would use on a brick wall

I did not realise that poly block need soemthing different 

I've had a quote from Durisol, but it was double what I've had from Jackon.

 

8 minutes ago, nod said:

Sorry to be a bit negative 

But as soon as you mention self build with many contractors They seem to think you have a big pot of money 

 

The only drawback with ICF and render is you really do need to leave the base coat for a couple of days In winter a week 

 

 

I've noticed that, Some tradesmen act like I've won money with the prices they quote.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, deuce22 said:

 

What brand do you use? This plaster uses Parex, which is around £10 per bag, but said the bags for ICF is over 3x as much per bag.

I try to stick with Krend Acrylic if possible but have used Stucco and others 

Very often we don’t have a lot of choice in what we price for 

As I’ve said before the guys and girls that run K rend are second to none 

Slightest issue with the product and there over from Ireland for a site visit 

Once you have base coated and meshed the ICF you can use most through coloured renders 

ICF is less problematic than some of the high suction blocks 


If your plasterer is not a regular buyer in quantity of these renders 

Prices quoted can be high 

Not sure about three time’s though 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 sounds achievable (provided scaffolding is up). We came in below £50 m2 using JUB rendering system last June. The materials/labour cost were 40/60. The rendering company we used were recommended by JUB and did a first rate job (ejl.plastering@gmail.com). They were not fans of pump systems, preferring to mix and trowel. It's very weather dependant work and our job took three weeks elapse to complete. There was no "roughing up" of the ICF it's not required, well at least not using the products we used. It was also good to use materials from a single manufacturer.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We had a thin coat silicone render on polystyrene though and it looks great. They are about 7mm thickness when complete so it may be that the weight of other render systems is not appropriate for direct render to ICF/Poly? 

 

Used a system from EWI Pro and it sounds similar to what you've been quoted. The basecoat went onto jablite graphite eps boards which have some texture and there was no roughing up required. 

 

Other than that the method was identical to what you've been quoted except there was a primer applied between the 2nd base cost and the top coat silicone render and we didn't need a spray on top. 

 

Price for ours in London was about /£60m2 for a small extension job 25m2, but no spray pump needed. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

£60 in London would be cheap

£30 even in s Wales wouldn’t be doable 

You would need most of that for your materials 

Unless you where going directly onto concrete block 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agreed, we got a good price and the material cost for silicone render is significant. I was most impressed by the basecoat, it's a waterproof fibre reinforced cement product that you also use as an adhesive with external insulation. Pretty bullet proof stuff and looks good when finished. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 11 months later...

Hi.

 

I've now got the plasterer doing the render on the garage. He is using Johnstones and has finished the mesh coat and base coat. I have gone out there today and noticed a lot of cracks. When you tap it, it feels really hollow and the cracks are moving when you press it.

 

Have any of you actually tapped it and does it feel hollow?

 

Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 06/05/2020 at 08:04, Archer said:

We had a thin coat silicone render on polystyrene though and it looks great. They are about 7mm thickness when complete so it may be that the weight of other render systems is not appropriate for direct render to ICF/Poly? 

 

Used a system from EWI Pro and it sounds similar to what you've been quoted. The basecoat went onto jablite graphite eps boards which have some texture and there was no roughing up required. 

 

Other than that the method was identical to what you've been quoted except there was a primer applied between the 2nd base cost and the top coat silicone render and we didn't need a spray on top. 

 

Price for ours in London was about /£60m2 for a small extension job 25m2, but no spray pump needed. 

I used render from EWI Pro too - found them at one of the shows. They were great and 30-40% cheaper than krend

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...