How difficult is it to buy a sliding gate kit and do a DIY install?

Have done most things but never fitted electric sliding gates. Just trying to decide with how much I still have to do whether to get a company in or have a go myself. I realise I can only claim the gate and not the electric sliding part as it was part of the PP. I will be putting the ducting in for the elec/data cable this week so apart from digging a trench, rebar and concrete there cannot be much to it can there? 

( I am to busy to build my own gates @Onoff)

I would also talk to a smallish local gate fabricator / fitter as a control. I found a custom one to be quite competitive including fitting.

Around here there are a number .. a couple in each town.

F

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Thanks 1

I want OnOff to come come on please, with a full, detailed drawings etc scheme. Together with costings, and if you ever sell, you will still be able to drive past and say. "See them, I built them."?

Edited by Big Jimbo
Missed a bit

43 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

I want OnOff to come come on please, with a full, detailed drawings etc scheme. Together with costings, and if you ever sell, you will still be able to drive past and say. "See them, I built them."?

I believe @Onoff flies by the seat of his pants for the most part, doesn't work to a budget and pays no attention to costs. Now to to most people that's a non starter but as he takes so long complete anything costs are spread and don't particularly impact. Sketches are done on CAD but repeatability is an issue as he forgets what he called the drawing and/or where he filed it. 

Somehow it generally works out alright!

?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

...but as he takes so long complete anything costs are spread and don't particularly impact. Sketches are done on CAD but repeatability is an issue...

Do you think we could be related? ?

26 minutes ago, dnb said:

Do you think we could be related? ?

I do have an affinity for the IoW. Especially the pubs...

Looks like that won't be happening this year! ?

31 minutes ago, dnb said:

Pint in the Horse and Groom next time we are allowed out?

Bloke walks into a pub...those were the days! ?

Love to, first round's on me. Glad we found that pub, great food and loads of it, really friendly staff etc.