Kitchen Extraction

So, I spent last night using a kitchen planner on DIY Kitchens to play around with kitchen layouts.

Knowing we have to have some kind of mechanical kitchen ventilation but we can't have a hood without putting in some form of fake ceiling as the bungalow kitchen will have a high ceiling/glazed gable I was looking at the hobs with built in inductions. The hob will be on in the middle of the kitchen similar to an island with no walls.

As I've never used one in any kitchen I've ever had I'm not too bothered about the specs as such just getting something that meets building regs and at a reasonable cost, such as this.

Can anyone explain to me in simple terms how these work if the pipe won't extract to outside.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cookology-Induction-Built-Downdraft-Extractor/dp/B07K8QDHX2/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=induction+hob+extractor&qid=1588009723&sr=8-3

Also, does anyone have any other recommendations of something similar at a reasonable cost.

There are some downdraft extractors that can be piped to the outside through the floor, but in doing so you might create a U bend for water to lie in unless you shield the outside from water ingress.

Edited by JFDIY

38 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Yep you're right so I'm best just having a standard hob then and finding a big fan to put on an outside wall somewhere to satisfy building regs which we will probably never use and likely disconnect after. 

It used to be BR had one extraction rate for a cooker hood, and a higher extraction rate if the extract was e.g. on a wall away from the cooker.  Read it and check.

3 minutes ago, ProDave said:

It used to be BR had one extraction rate for a cooker hood, and a higher extraction rate if the extract was e.g. on a wall away from the cooker.  Read it and check.

Yep read it. It's 60l/s so one like that icon fan would be ok. I'd probably never use it anyway and we can put this on the opposite wall to the hob which will be on an island.