Velux Cabrio?

puntloos

(did I overlook a topic about this already?)

Does anyone have experience with Velux Cabrio windows [video]?

122291-01-xxl.thumb.jpg.99c2db2de48c5c3cd69250087c7592ae.jpg

- Are they actually nice, or is it a gimmick you'll never actually use? 

- Is the glass above you annoying?

- Does it feel scary?

- Do neighbours (or planning permission teams) complain about them? (privacy?)

- Any downsides when you are NOT using them in cabrio mode? 

- Easy to clean?

etc etc

Was  expensive when we looked at it.

We fitted three big top hung velux windows.

I'm 6'3 and I can just stand outside when the window is open, but this might depend on the pitch of the roof and where the roof windows are placed.

I originally wanted a balcony, but this was a lot cheaper, ultimately I just wanted to enjoy the view whilst feeling outside.

P1170158.thumb.JPG.c85c8dd1bc8330f09ad418b2dd6c6aa3.JPGP1170157.thumb.JPG.b8886d2efcdbd3b12143b89760b0aabc.JPG

4 minutes ago, Thedreamer said:

Was  expensive when we looked at it.

We fitted three big top hung velux windows.

So 'standard' ones, not with the balcony effect? I'm trying to figure out in my head what the difference in experience is. I think.. effectively you are not standing further outside your house, it just feels a bit safer?

I'm 6'3 and I can just stand outside when the window is open, but this might depend on the pitch of the roof and where the roof windows are placed.

Good  point, I'm 6'4 - so indeed the top of the window needs to be pretty strategically placed then..

I originally wanted a balcony, but this was a lot cheaper, ultimately I just wanted to enjoy the view whilst feeling outside.

You're very lucky, beautiful views. I will look over beautiful.. neighbors? 

Yes they can be made to be act as centre pivot for cleaning.

At the moment the weather is great really shows off the good views. A lot of work in getting the house in that place those (services, access etc). I also wanted to build some where nobody could disrupt the views in the future.

Here is how they look inside. Need to consider fire safety when positioning as they can act as a escape window as well.

P1170634.thumb.JPG.a1259bdbe519a13af3c74a2c70b3aa18.JPG

We considered them for our rooms in roof.

Quite expensive and IIRC not available in the triple glazed near passive spec (prob quite leaky from an airtightness perspective also).

Anyway, planners explicitly outlawed them in the approval conditions for privacy reasons.

We went with a very large top hung Velux in each room (SK10) and are very happy with it.

Based on my experience with the first floor bedroom balconies, the balcony function would never have got used.

Edited by Bitpipe

22 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

We considered them for our rooms in roof.

Quite expensive and IIRC not available in the triple glazed near passive spec (prob quite leaky from an airtightness perspective also).

Anyway, planners explicitly outlawed them in the approval conditions for privacy reasons.

We went with a very large top hung Velux in each room (SK10) and are very happy with it.

Outlawed.. interesting part for me is that I see almost no difference between where you would stand between standard top-hung and cabrio. I assume with cabrio you can stand maybe 30-40cm forward but I wouldn't consider this meaningful enough to outlaw? 

Based on my experience with the first floor bedroom balconies

What's this experience? You're not even using them?

the balcony function would never have got used.

Fair

2 hours ago, puntloos said:

Outlawed.. interesting part for me is that I see almost no difference between where you would stand between standard top-hung and cabrio. I assume with cabrio you can stand maybe 30-40cm forward but I wouldn't consider this meaningful enough to outlaw? 

What's this experience? You're not even using them?

Fair

Yep, I think the planner's issue was overlooking, as there's no means to enforce privacy to the sides.

Our rear bedroom balconies had to have full height opaque glass to each side that faced neighbours.

We don't use them probably because they face west so are in shadow in the morning and in the evening we're downstairs and then go to bed.

They do break up what would otherwise be a flat rear wall at the back of the house and do look pretty from outside but they were a constant pain in the build and the final suspended alu deck with composite planks and glass hung off the deck was not cheap  - my fault for overlooking specifying sufficient anchoring area for the glass (GRP roof so cant drill into it).

Anyway, maybe some day I'll stick a table and chair out there and enjoy the evening sun...

On 22/04/2020 at 01:06, puntloos said:

- Do neighbours (or planning permission teams) complain about them? (privacy?)

These balconies can be installed under PD providing they comply with the PD guidelines. So in most cases, they have nothing to do with Planning or potential neighbourly concerns.

On 22/04/2020 at 13:05, Thedreamer said:

Need to consider fire safety when positioning as they can act as a escape window as well.

Only if installed to new habitable rooms at first floor level.