fitting low threshold doors

Simplysimon

hi folks,

having never fitted a low threshold door, what is the best height especially as the floor finish is, as yet, unknown. i don't want to put it to a height then try to fit eg. wooden flooring, only to find it's coming above the level of the threshold. what height do housebuilders allow?

cheers

With mine I planned the flooring so I knew what thickness I was dealing with, also you need the door to miss the floor by a margin to allow fir the odd stone or bit of grit, the tolerances for a low threshold are tight so you do need to know your flooring material really.

I got the cill depth from the supplier and, as we knew the thickness of flooring we were planning to fit (12mm + 3mm adhesive bed) I made sure the doors were fitted into the slab so that the threshold just complied with Part M, without being too low.  Even so this caused a problem with the door mats, as the clearance from the underside of the outside doors to the floor is too tight to allow anything other than a really thin, super absorbent type, mat.  With hindsight I should have cast in wells to accept door mats, but it wasn't something I picked up on until after we had the flooring laid.

We had a bit of a guess as we did not know exactly what flooring we would use other than it would be "wood"

As it happened, the engineered oak we chose was at the thin end of the spectrum at 20mm, so to make it work, I needed 30mm battens, which of course are not readily available so I ended up using 25mm plus a sheet of 6mm ply ripped into strips.

Re door mats.  The two main doors are tiled with slate so we built in mat wells when tiling for a decent thickness door mat.  The other doors have an ultra slim mat as @Jeremy Harris has.