Openreach

The other night I'm driving home in the rain and I pass a roadside cabinet with the door open. I tried to shut the door but it wouldn't stay closed so I went home, got some rope and put it around the whole cabinet to keep the door shut. Next problem is who to call at Openreach. Their website has a number to call if you see a damaged cabinet so I ring that and select the correct options as instructed. I get cut off. So I ring again and this time it just rings and rings with no answer. Searching their web site I discover an email address and dash off an email with details of the cabinet number, location etc. Today I get this reply..

Your query has come through to a helpdesk, unfortunately we have no information regarding this, we are set up to help point you in the right direction; If you contact the Damage team on the number below, they can investigate this for you.

I particularly like the bit about them investigating "for me" as it's not my equipment out in the rain.

Anyway I ring the Damage team again and I'm put on hold. After awhile I give up. The door is a side door and may have contained power supplies although it was too dark to tell what was in there. So I've now sent them this..

Thank you for your email below.

I have made three attempts to contact your Damage Team by phone without success.

As this is a potential SAFETY issue with one of your roadside cabinets I recommend you call them yourself or forward this email to them.

Where do I send the bill for rope hire?

and their reply was..

Unfortunately we are a helpdesk and can only advise you where to go.

We have tested the number and its working fine 0800 0232023 option 1 option 1

If you contact them they will send an engineer within 4 hours to make this safe

I'd like to advise them where to go :-)

When they called the Damage Team to "test the number" I guess it didn't occur to them to pass on details of the problem?

Just accept Open Reach, rather ironically, are hopeless at communication.

Next time you are passing by, retrieve the bit of rope that you kindly lent to them, and move on to do more important things with your life.

When the rain gets in, and something stops working, a fault will be reported and they will fix it. Eventually.

• Like 1

I contacted the CEO Openreach 'clive.selley@openreach.co.uk' when I was having problems with Openreach. The email was intercepted by their High Level Complaints Team who apologised and said the complaint would be looked into but they were as useful as a chocolate teapot.

BT Business are the same however I know how they've implemented the twitter filters so you send stuff to Graham Sutherland... 

I was really concerned when they bought EE as up to now I've not had any issues with them however  BT has always been a joke - fingers crossed they keep the EE teams as they are as **usually** they do what they say they will do ..!!