SE needs Soil Survey

Triassic

Ask your SE if he has any specific things he wants included and if he can recommend a company to do it. Typically it involves digging two or more holes and pushing probes in at various depths to test the load bearing capacity of the ground. Samples are also taken and sent to a lab to look for anything that might effect the foundation design. The report describes the various layers they find and the results of the sample analysis.

Do you have a builder lined up or are you using subcontractors? You might save money if you provide a digger and driver although most companies can arrange one if you haven't.

If the ground is clay.. Will you also need a percolation test to see if soakaways work and to provide data to size them? If so you might get this done at the same time.

There are companies all over I guess but your SE will tell you what they need and you pass this to the soils company. In our case we just told the soil testing company that the SE wanted a survey and they knew exactly what was needed. They chose the sample points and the depth to go. In our case 6m down in two places. Cost was £970 + VAT and he came from spalding to east kent so might come to you. Message me for his details he may know someone up there if not able to do it himself.

Trail pits are the first and cheapest stage. If as you say rock is shallow then you are laughing. Hire out a 3 T digger so you will be able to dig down to over 2.5m depending on the make of the digger. If it's something like mudstone then a 1.5t digger would struggle to dig it out. You will then be able to scrape some of the weathered rock for samples. Take a sample of the clay at each time it changes and scrape up the face with the teeth so you can get a good picture of the different soil types. Also record any water strikes. If rock is that shallow you won't need to go down the borehole route unless it's a peat bog sitting on top.

3 hours ago, Triassic said:

Hilliard has asked fir a soil survey for our site in order to design the foundation slab.

is there a specification for such things and can anyone recommend anyone able to undertake this work in the Lancashire/ Cumbria area?

Yes, me.PM me for details.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

The site investigation proposals are in, so now I need to do is do a 'reality check' on what's proposed and the price, so here goes -

Intrusive investigation-

1. Excavation of 4 boreholes to a depth of 4.00m using a  Dando Terrier Rig with associated CPT and / or shear vane testing with supervision ny an experienced  and qualified geo-enviromental engineer (£550 + Vat).

2. Excavation of several machine dug trial pits to gather further information of the depth and profile of expected limestone roackhead (inclusive in the above)

3. Geotechnical Testing of samples recovered from site including moisture content, Atterberg Limits, water soluble sulphate concentrations and pH testing to allow suitable foundations and concrete design service (£150 +Vat)

4. Provision of a factual and interpretative report with recommendations by a gotechnical engineer on the foundation type and depth at the site, with regard to the development (£350 +Vat)

Total cost £1050 + Vat

Any thoughts, is this a good deal, am I missing anything critical ?

Edited by Triassic

46 minutes ago, Triassic said:

The site investigation proposals are in, so now I need to do is do a 'reality check' on what's proposed.... 

Total cost £1050 + Vat

Any thoughts, is this a good deal, am I missing anything critical ?

Seems fine to me.  Be aware of the need possibly to go deeper than  4 m. Also mark the exact spot of the holes on your topographical survey. 

If you suspect Rock is at 2m deep then they will only get one cpt done if they do it correct. You are meant to hand dig to 1.2m so your first test will be at 2m. As the job will be priced per m and per cpt test ask if they don't get to 4m will you get money of???

Or ask how much it would be to dynamic probe the site. You still get a test results but will be much quicker at finding rock so should be cheaper. 

Get them to do the trial pits first so if as you suspect Rock is close then all they need to do is probe the rest of the site.