Grand Designs - Wirral

PeterW

So can anyone explain how this place they are building on the Wirral (C4 now) is getting away with not insulating the existing walls ...??! I get the floor isn't being altered so that stays as is, but how can they not do the walls ..?  

(OK scratch that as they are doing it now but ... BRegs..??)

They did leave the whole ground floor standing. In essence they merely took off a dormer roof and replaced it with a new box to give the upstairs full usable floor area, and extended the upper floor with the mock cantilevered bit over the car port.  In doing so they saved the construction cost of a new ground floor and new foundations.

And they did end up cladding the existing lower floor with external wall insulation before the render.

My guess is this classed as an "extension" and the council tax will remain the same until it changes ownership, so there is a saving.

I noticed they used Rationel windows but they didn't say if 2G or 3G or if ali clad or just painted wood finish.

Again I am asking questions like how did they get away with no handrail on the stairs etc?

the Kitchen island on wheels (with a coil of cable underneath because the hob is on the island) might "solve" the activity space issue. Just push it to one side and there is your activity space (though the other side may be a bit cramped) then push it back for normal use though perhaps not meeting the activity space nonsense.

Re building regs on a conversion. I did the wiring for two old fishermans cottages knocked into one. At one point building control were saying that everything had to meet current regs, which would have meant gutting every room of the house to add more insulation. In the end they settled for only rooms that had been altered (the rooms either side of the knock through) having to meet current insulation levels.