Formwork hire or purchase

success1980

Hi all,

I am planning to construct a small garden wall (only about 50cm high to cover hight difference) to fix the fence onto instead of having it dug in and rot every few years. Also, I like the look of it.

I am digging a trench and pour the foundation. Then it would ideally be solid concrete rather than hollow blocks filled with concrete. 

Would anyone know where I can hire formwork panels? 50cm or 75cm wide would do, I need 20m all together (10m wall).

Thanks

Cut a sheet of 12mm ply/ OSB, whatever you can get cheaper, in half and use 2*2 driven into the ground to act as support posts. 

Depending on your skills you could insert some threaded rod into through the ply into the gap so when you pour the concrete the rods will be fixed onto which you can slide your posts. Will require a bit more work in setting it all out so it suits the lengths of D rail you are going to use. 

Yes it is a complicated way to do the fence ... but I just dont like the lookof gravel boards or concrete posts. I can barely deal with wooden fences :) . I think it looks neater if I have a stable concrete wall that's 5cm higher than the lawn. The posts will be fixed "invisibly" by drilling a 25mm hole in the bottom and screw the steel plate to the concrete with concrete screws. Ideally I would use composite or aluminuim panels but that's way too expensive for now.

image.png.f5e7c7389465e2860bc97b0d541cc248.png

16 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Cut a sheet of 12mm ply/ OSB, whatever you can get cheaper, in half and use 2*2 driven into the ground to act as support posts. 

Depending on your skills you could insert some threaded rod into through the ply into the gap so when you pour the concrete the rods will be fixed onto which you can slide your posts. Will require a bit more work in setting it all out so it suits the lengths of D rail you are going to use. 

Like this suggestion. Most of it will be underground anyway so that could be an option.

I either bolt the posts to concrete repair spurs, or use Postsavers as above. Either way should give 2 decades of life.

Postsavers work by protecting a wooden post at the point where it rots - ground level. (Vid below - they also work with square posts).

Other options are plastic posts or guaranteed life wooden posts.

Best of luck with your chosen method.

Ferdinand

https://vimeo.com/manage/262801711/general

Edited by Ferdinand