Double stud wall vs ICF party wall

Falesh

I am researching how to soundproof two rooms that share a wall. One method is using a double stud wall as seen here. The other would be using an ICF party wall and then using clips to decouple the drywall, as shown here. In the links the double stud is preferable as the single one is also using a stud wall. But I am wondering how well a thick ICF wall would work due to its very large mass and great airtightness. Anyone have any ideas?

Our external walls are a different form of twin stud construction, but seem to be extremely effective at attenuating sound.  This is a section though the wall:

image.thumb.png.9b1d6ee3f815bd0943bcbb741b0bc016.png

The ~300mm wide void between the skins is filled with dense pressure-blown cellulose, and is pretty heavy and solid.  The construction is inherently very airtight, as is has been designed to be the external walls for a passive house.  It should be pretty easy to substitute this type of wall for a standard stud wall, albeit with a fair increase in wall thickness.

55 minutes ago, Falesh said:

I am researching how to soundproof two rooms that share a wall. One method is using a double stud wall as seen here. The other would be using an ICF party wall and then using clips to decouple the drywall, as shown here. In the links the double stud is preferable as the single one is also using a stud wall. But I am wondering how well a thick ICF wall would work due to its very large mass and great airtightness. Anyone have any ideas?

One potential issue with timber is comparable to masonry you don't get the low frequency performance you do with masonry as timber doesn't have the mass.

You could go for a hybrid construction, 100mm dense block, which you could use a structural wall. The  have a independent 100mm stud wall, with 50-100mm gap from the block, fill all the cavity with insulation, and finish with 2 layers of soundbloc.

You will also need to think about flanking noise via loft if one of the wall leaves doesn't go up to roof level

1 minute ago, Moonshine said:

You will also need to think about flanking noise via loft if one of the wall leaves doesn't go up to roof level

Yeah, on that same site it shows a possible option for that. I never even thought about simply having the wall go all the way to the roof. If both work then I guess it's down to whichever is the cheapest.

5 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

One potential issue with timber is comparable to masonry you don't get the low frequency performance you do with masonry as timber doesn't have the mass.

You could go for a hybrid construction, 100mm dense block, which you could use a structural wall. The  have a independent 100mm stud wall, with 50-100mm gap from the block, fill all the cavity with insulation, and finish with 2 layers of soundbloc.

I would like low frequency protection too, which is what drew my thoughts to the ICF. The other is that with the ICF it's a simple single wall rather then having to build multiple ones with gaps inbetween. Having said that since I have, as yet, not found data to compare the different solutions it may or may not work.

1 hour ago, Falesh said:

This is what I do for a living 

A double MF wall will out perform a solid built wall for sound  and air tightness 

I’m just pricing some factory units that have a set of offices in the middle that won’t want to listen to machinery all day 

Similar to the one shown but with Gypsum slabs clipped to the back of each stud 

C14D1CA4-8C9C-4C70-8955-C2E6F65A8C71.jpeg