Painting wooden window frames

Water

Depends on how many windows you have.... my mansion only has two windows..... so I got hardwood sash windows unpainted and then did a very careful job painting them with primer.... undercoat, 3 layers of top coat. ..... Been done 7 years and still looking great. 

1 hour ago, Water said:

Hi buildhubbers,

I got a good quote for wooden windows but the price shoots up if you ask them to painted, is it such a bad idea for me to DIY paint them once fitted?

Cheers!

So when you get them factory painted they tend to prime and paint using spray so the finish is better, plus they also tend to paint prior to any glazing so you don’t get any unpainted areas that can rot. They also tend to apply multiple coats so it is more expensive. 

1 hour ago, Water said:

Hi buildhubbers,

I got a good quote for wooden windows but the price shoots up if you ask them to painted, is it such a bad idea for me to DIY paint them once fitted?

Cheers!

Can you have them delivered, then paint them and then get them or someone else to fit the painted window. Suppose you'll need space and time to do that.

Personally I never use undercoat or primer, I always put a coat of 75% thinners, then two 50% coats then a light rubber to bring up a shine.

10 hours ago, Delicatedave said:

Personally I never use undercoat or primer, I always put a coat of 75% thinners, then two 50% coats then a light rubber to bring up a shine.

That's interesting, may have to try it out on some of the picture frames I am making.

There is a lot of work in the painting, hence the hike in price. If you rip apart an old house, say pre 70's, the windows are usually primed in the good old fashoned Pink primer on all edges, not just where you see. I would'nt fit wooden windows unless they were fully primed on all surfaces prior to fitting.