Wiring a shipping container

Conor

I've a shipping container arriving on site on Tuesday. It'll be mostly for storage but intend on using the front for tool storage and a mini workshop for when it's raining. Nothing too taxing, maybe a mitre saw and a few chargers plus LED lighting.

Our temporary site supply has 2x 16a commando sockets, one for hooking up the site office and other for the shipping container and whatever 110v tools are used at the time. Unfortunately our DNO prohibits 13a sockets coming off the supply board.

Can I wire up a basic fused 13a circuit and 5a lighting circuit and be connected using a 16a commando socket extended from the temp kiosk? The 16a sockets come out of an earthed board and 100a RCD. Do I need to earth within the cabin?

Thanks.

NB, the 13a socket in picture has to be removed before the DNO will connect us.

IMG-20191221-WA0000.jpg

I'd just run a cable to the container on a piece of decent cable suitable for the job, i.e. external grade, etc. etc. and take that into a garage consumer unit in the container, stick a single 6A and a 16A breaker in that, 6A out to your lights and 16A out to your sockets.

I'd probably treat the container as a caravan, and therefore earth it with a rod.

Having said all of that, I actually wouldn't in practise do any of that, but that is me - I'd run a good quality cable 16A extension cable into my container permanently, and have either a twin 13A socket on the end, or a 16A socket and have a 16A socket to 4 way, and flex my light. Depends how temporary all this will be and who will be using it. My new garage is still fed off a 13A extension cable from my old garage. 

Edited by Carrerahill
  • Like 1

Definitely treat the container under the caravan regs which basically means it must have a TT earth and an RCD.  Your site sockets should already be on a TT earth, but check.

Fit a mini CU inside the container with a 30mA rcd

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Definitely treat the container under the caravan regs which basically means it must have a TT earth and an RCD.  Your site sockets should already be on a TT earth, but check.

Fit a mini CU inside the container with a 30mA rcd

and maybe bond the steel  container to the earthing rod as well?

Thanks all. There's an earthing rod and RCD in the kiosk if that makes a difference?

The idea of just having a single cable running and then a 4 way gang lead hanging in the container does make a lot of bloody good sense. It'll only be used for a few months, and I've enough jobs to be doing. I'm sure I can get some basic plug in LED lighting to do the job.

2 hours ago, Conor said:

Thanks all. There's an earthing rod and RCD in the kiosk if that makes a difference?

The idea of just having a single cable running and then a 4 way gang lead hanging in the container does make a lot of bloody good sense. It'll only be used for a few months, and I've enough jobs to be doing. I'm sure I can get some basic plug in LED lighting to do the job.

I'd save yourself some time, money and hassle and just do that. If it's really just your shed then I see no issue with this. As with any extension cable just keep an eye on it and make sure any damage is rectified.