Using tiles with surrounding border tiles

DC5

Hi folks, we are keen to use these tiles in our bathroom:

https://www.toppstiles.co.uk/berkeley/berkeley-charcoal-border-tile

The tiles are basically 45cm long and the room is exactly 3m so doesn't divide evenly. Is there so trick or tile magic to get the borders to fit without an awkward cut and the design to butting correctly at one point in the room?

Any help appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

Or use cut down center tiles to make the "border around the border"..

3000/450=6.666 So 6 full border tiles with a "border around the border" of 0.666*450/2 = 150mm approx. So with luck you can get two from each 450*450 center tile.

I think 150mm is wide enough so that any slight variation in width won't be obvious. For example you won't notice if the border one side is 5-10mm narrower. However if it was only 50mm then a 5-10mm variation would be more noticeable.

Planning will be key. Make a drawing. I'd start laying tiles from the centre and work out. 

Edited by Temp
  • Like 1

I agree that it would look bad if you cut into the pattern. But do you need to tile the wall tight up into the corners, or can you just tile areas? Or maybe you could tile the wall with plain tiles and have these set into it.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Temp said:

Think the 225*225 tile is the corner one for the border.

So the border would actually be (5*450)+(2*225) rarther than 6*450.

Yes I can see that, but depends if you want the border to continue down the sides, or just horizontally.

The 450mm tile can be cut in half as it's a repeated pattern.

Five and a half @450 plus two 225 would work

• Like 2

Thank folks appreciate the help on this one, looks like the only option is as a few people mention to work from the centre out and fill the gap with a plain tile at the edge.

One corner and most on 2 side walls are hidden by a freestanding bath and a shower so I will discuss also starting from one corner and working diagonally to the other that way the 2 visible sides are perfect!!!