Revision of a Condition - How Long?

hmpmarketing

Hi All,

Does anybody ever had a situation similar to mine? Here is the story:

I originally obtained planning permission (April of this year) that included a 6x6 garage. Part of the conditions listed were:

(2) - The development hereby approved shall be carried out in accordance with the following approved plans: .....

(7) - No part of the development shall be first occupied until covered and secure cycle parking spaces have been provided in accordance with plans and details submitted to and approved by the Local Planning Authority.

So I thought, In order to accommodate the cycle store requirement, I decided to go for a bigger garage (6x8) that would have the cycle store annexed to garage. I consulted with my Case officer and he advised me to just apply to vary the conditions (stated above) only in respect of the changes to the garage and could proceed with the other elements of my approved planning whilst the application was being resolved. I have made the application to vary the conditions and now waiting (application name worded as "Application for variation of conditions No. 2 & 7 of previously approved XX/XX/XX/XX".

Any idea how long a variation of a condition app usually takes compared to a regular "full" planning application? As I want to place the order for the garage right away, I'm very anxious as to how long this may take.

Thanks again everyone

You could probably do it more simply than that if you need, by e.g. Stating that you will install a secure cycle locker such as 

http://www.johnlewis.com/rowlinson-wall-bike-store-willow-cream/p1872079?sku=234269307&s_kwcid=2dx92700013375172350&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=CPiNvqatmdACFawW0wodkI0ENg&gclsrc=aw.ds

IF you wanted that could become a garden storage unit.

So there may be no need to vary the condition - you could comply with it instead.

You may even get away with a couple of wheelbender racks installed inside the garage as 6m x 6m may be rather larger than the absolute minimum and could claim that an appropriate slice is bike storage. LPAS tend to be different on this, but a 40-50cm slice across inside the door may be enough. IF you can move your door even 20cm outward that may help.

Phone up your planner and ask.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

Yes. Alas Peter is right although it in practice may be quicker as they will probably only allow for a 14 day consultation with your neighbours. If like our authority they will write to them to say that you have amended your plans and give them 14 days to comment. 

• Like 1

On the original Outline planning permission that came with the plot I've recently bought its got a condition that its just for a chalet bungalow. Now my plans are for a house, which fits in more with the tradition of the village which was all originally just houses, only in the last few years have chalet bungalows been built. The property to either side of my plot are terraced houses and in general the village is a composition of terrace housing, semi detached and detached houses. A chalet bungalow wouldn't really fit in well on the plot which is on a visible hillside without sticking out like a sore thumb I think. I don't really know why this was a condition of that application other than the build for that application being for a chalet bungalow - I guess in case people get surprised if a house is then talked about, would still need to go through full planning permission though. Plot could easily sit a house without it looking over sized or out of place. 

I haven't gotten to looking into it yet but I'm guessing when I submit for a renewal with a plan for a house this condition won't be carried forward from the last outline planning permission, since the subject will be for a house and the whole lot will be assessed from the beginning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Can take up to 8 weeks to get conditions signed off - same as an application sadly...

Hi Peter, thanks for your feedback. I was afraid it would be classed as a "full" application, I have just asked my case officer for the same info, but I already know what I will hear :-)

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

You could probably do it more simply than that if you need, by e.g. Stating that you will install a secure cycle locker such as 

http://www.johnlewis.com/rowlinson-wall-bike-store-willow-cream/p1872079?sku=234269307&s_kwcid=2dx92700013375172350&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=CPiNvqatmdACFawW0wodkI0ENg&gclsrc=aw.ds

IF you wanted that could become a garden storage unit.

So there may be no need to vary the condition - you could comply with it instead.

You may even get away with a couple of wheelbender racks installed inside the garage as 6m x 6m may be rather larger than the absolute minimum and could claim that an appropriate slice is bike storage. LPAS tend to be different on this, but a 40-50cm slice across inside the door may be enough. IF you can move your door even 20cm outward that may help.

Phone up your planner and ask.

Ferdinand

Hi Ferdinand, I want the bigger garage, Im using the cycle store requirement only to support the approval of it, Had I known that it would take longer, I would have applied for a bigger garage initially. So my mistake.

My concern with how long it may take is only due to having to order the garage as a package with my timber frame company, as they need to order the whole package together, if I have to wait for LA to decide on approving the bigger one, it will delay my delivery date for sure (holiday period , etc)

Edited by hmpmarketing

I fear the "wanting a bigger garage" bit may be too easy for the planners to spot.  Would it fit in or become over developed?

One way round the timber frame thing would be to talk to the frame manufacturer. Could they design it as the larger sized garage, but if your amendment is rejected then just miss out a 2 metre long wall section on each side and a few less roof trusses? that might enable them to accept the order and shcedule it's production, knowing there is an easy way to alter the design at the last minute.

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

I fear the "wanting a bigger garage" bit may be too easy for the planners to spot.  Would it fit in or become over developed?

One way round the timber frame thing would be to talk to the frame manufacturer. Could they design it as the larger sized garage, but if your amendment is rejected then just miss out a 2 metre long wall section on each side and a few less roof trusses? that might enable them to accept the order and shcedule it's production, knowing there is an easy way to alter the design at the last minute.

Hi Dave,

I got a reply from my Case officer. His words " I have no in principle objections to the amended garage but we need to consult the Town Council and local residents and I cannot provide any guarantee that permission will be granted.". So as long as he gets the application allocated to him, I should have no issues (plot is quite big so it wont feel overdeveloped at all).

I think I can do what you suggest, get in touch with the Timber frame company and somehow get it ordered without delay and perhaps change if I get no approval :-)