Wot lights to choose..

zoothorn

12 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Aico smoke alarms are the best. 

I generally agree with that.

BUT, the new house I am wiring the customer has come up with something a bit different.  Like aico they have decent terminations in their base but they are smaller.  I will make a note of what make they are when I am there one day next week.

He did say however they were not cheap.

38 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I generally agree with that.

BUT, the new house I am wiring the customer has come up with something a bit different.  Like aico they have decent terminations in their base but they are smaller.  I will make a note of what make they are when I am there one day next week.

He did say however they were not cheap.

I've noted aico (thx Peter) & seems likely at ~£17 I'll go with that.. as I'll need 2 of. Its only realy upstairs I was thinking a smaller more conspicuos one would be preferable, but not if alot more£.

My electrician was talking of them both working in conjunction.. ie one triggers & sets other off. Anyone know about this type of set up?

Yes, that's the 'interlinked' aspect to them. Usually a 9v trigger line between (so you wire them up with triple+earth cable) or wireless ones are also available. Fairly standard these days (and possibly a building regs requirement but haven't looked up the details on that). 

Edited by MJNewton

Just now, MJNewton said:

Some different makes can be interlinked but the usual advice is to stick to one make. What make are your current ones? 

Well tbh I've only got 1x 9v powered cheapo in my main room. This prompts me to replace it with an aico maybe too.. but quite a distance/ tricky logistics to link it to the extention two mentioned (above each other/ 1 room up-down etc).

32 minutes ago, MJNewton said:

As mentioned you can get wireless interlinked alarms (from Aico too). 

Ah yes just re-read your post before. So maybe I could hardwire the 2x up in extention, & replace 3rd in main room interlinked to these two wirelessly. better get onto the aico Co.

many thanks for info MJN.