Cat6

Right!

I need to start putting in my cat6 cabling everywhere. I really want to crimp everything - so therefore I think it must be stranded cable as opposed to solid.

So I'm not intending to use this just for patch cables but for the entire house. Anyone see an issues with this? (assuming I purchase a decent brand - presumably shielded ; links welcome )

Stranded just makes things much easier - as most cable runs will have a poe device hanging off the end rather than a wall plate. Seems pointless to run solid cat6 to a plate (say in a loft) then make and run a cat6 stranded to the device.

I just want to go from router/bridge direct to device.

Edited by pocster

Does it really matter ? e.g. stranded over solid in this situation??

Maybe :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/305m-Cable-Reel-Cat5e-Cat6-Ethernet-Network-UTP-Stranded-CCA-Solid-Copper-LSZH/173526352939?epid=21011276278&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item2866fa042b:m:meKttAbrKRmcN7bIX6ymDNA&enc=AQAEAAACUBPxNw%2BVj6nta7CKEs3N0qX6Fc2JBEIaP7h3zG3UxCK%2Brbp70M49Yu5b1SS8qNajfaPHmIorTPweG6%2B%2Bxp2f6vs6V8gTVG7bGUGWktfYpOk652qY%2Fu1uCesF3PWqoY3LCZnR%2ByS0c14nW7kBoiYRNTxI0THfObLEi5ClgYR01385eESRCTLBMElut2zaONCgSyfggKgdBWPwubNLljtW%2FR6H0X0eC5v4gMuf1tzEYtNzFkbIPjALAiSEuISovdT%2B95KTJpxs65ib8nviTm1McqHoH6KbOgwlCfNb%2FG4bQT9jq2bjx0uDdp55OnkJOHOx7nVJqiAn39P4FDbFDA8m1q3KrcVaA1hhf5w4BouUNwt3ljJGHrv8sVVd6Xy8JYzRtBSokRW2oLgSdVs0SExs4Wk0y8ZgGMAXnwtOcGh3bC0VNWwJhydPzycPVEINniWQxmwg%2BhHEKUw%2F1Uadbkl9bX2ENRV18ExurCBk35i9NI6HEj%2FQIXvRtxH3xH96GsVSpYkOVBqEPOqD7AlzqVUmnLhRZs0xBY4jZNKqqzTqbexM1%2F3g4DWU9QQmcAjUoT1eR0nfu5uo5CtR5yWSKlEaCFmXxPucuL4xPvXLDaYJBWtL7B35j2Caz3BkjAyab1%2BQk0ePBtC3b7t1P4IZGT6hsrWB%2Bg6CUElPmPgm%2F2eVBzia3X9JQgooCj9W%2BKoSk6FGb9YKr41192x%2F9Eqxuge6riP0%2FUwUcYoDeoFgGASRpY7GwpCcuYQ%2BYg84%2BUzdRtwLqIEaAqU2SPA71Tz3cT0zkWg%3D&checksum=1735263529394d32ac615ebf437bbf26c2a175b414b5&enc=AQAEAAACUBPxNw%2BVj6nta7CKEs3N0qX6Fc2JBEIaP7h3zG3UxCK%2Brbp70M49Yu5b1SS8qNajfaPHmIorTPweG6%2B%2Bxp2f6vs6V8gTVG7bGUGWktfYpOk652qY%2Fu1uCesF3PWqoY3LCZnR%2ByS0c14nW7kBoiYRNTxI0THfObLEi5ClgYR01385eESRCTLBMElut2zaONCgSyfggKgdBWPwubNLljtW%2FR6H0X0eC5v4gMuf1tzEYtNzFkbIPjALAiSEuISovdT%2B95KTJpxs65ib8nviTm1McqHoH6KbOgwlCfNb%2FG4bQT9jq2bjx0uDdp55OnkJOHOx7nVJqiAn39P4FDbFDA8m1q3KrcVaA1hhf5w4BouUNwt3ljJGHrv8sVVd6Xy8JYzRtBSokRW2oLgSdVs0SExs4Wk0y8ZgGMAXnwtOcGh3bC0VNWwJhydPzycPVEINniWQxmwg%2BhHEKUw%2F1Uadbkl9bX2ENRV18ExurCBk35i9NI6HEj%2FQIXvRtxH3xH96GsVSpYkOVBqEPOqD7AlzqVUmnLhRZs0xBY4jZNKqqzTqbexM1%2F3g4DWU9QQmcAjUoT1eR0nfu5uo5CtR5yWSKlEaCFmXxPucuL4xPvXLDaYJBWtL7B35j2Caz3BkjAyab1%2BQk0ePBtC3b7t1P4IZGT6hsrWB%2Bg6CUElPmPgm%2F2eVBzia3X9JQgooCj9W%2BKoSk6FGb9YKr41192x%2F9Eqxuge6riP0%2FUwUcYoDeoFgGASRpY7GwpCcuYQ%2BYg84%2BUzdRtwLqIEaAqU2SPA71Tz3cT0zkWg%3D&checksum=1735263529394d32ac615ebf437bbf26c2a175b414b5

Edited by pocster

Or you could use these:

https://www.comms-express.com/products/rj45-utp-2-piece-cat6-plug/ 

There RJ45 connectors that can go on to UPT / solidcore cable. Haven't used them myself on solid core, but have used the standard ones alot to make my own patch cables, not to difficult to do. This way you have the option of fitting a patch cable and wall plates in places where its necessary or terminate straight in to a RJ45 for a camera

Edit: I think thoes connectors are actually for patch cable not solid core....currently cant find the solid core variant. 

Edited by AdamSee
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, AdamSee said:

Or you could use these:

https://www.comms-express.com/products/rj45-utp-2-piece-cat6-plug/ 

There RJ45 connectors that can go on to UPT / solidcore cable. Haven't used them myself on solid core, but have used the standard ones alot to make my own patch cables, not to difficult to do. This way you have the option of fitting a patch cable and wall plates in places where its necessary or terminate straight in to a RJ45 for a camera

Previously I used my special fantastic crimper with thru rj45. So I can see the wiring before I crimped. I liked this a lot!!!

It's all very confusing because though you could argue solid is better for transmission speed and distance it's also less flexible and therefore more prone to damage .

As I'm wiring the 'backbone' effectively for best of both worlds surely I go cat5/6/7 stranded ?????

Internet offers very little clear "use this one" .

Yeah I'm confused now!. So... solid as 'backbone' then drop to stranded to connect to device or bridge - whatever?

Never 'fitted' a solid rj45 - don't want it to be a pain! - like my through crimper!! - fiddly diddly stuff going to drive me mad! - and I have a lot of cabling/crimping etc. to do...

Edited by pocster

Hmmmm,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264335179750?ViewItem=&item=264335179750

But isn't this all fiddly do???. End my solid cable (hurray) then stranded to device???. I can see me getting annoyed!!

£5 a pop with presumably 1 at the other end. So each run will be costing £10 per device.......

Edited by pocster

Ok !

I guess my real issue is ...

I run a solid cable to say a sensor in a ceiling . Then keystone to a stranded patch to device . But that means really the solid termination point should really be a faceplate - so fixed and unmovable .

What if at a later date there’s an issue at that point ? . No loft access . Tiny hole for device in ceiling so can’t access solid cable faceplate .

I could do solid just to Wall faceplates and stranded to sensors . But in reality there won’t be any wall accessible faceplates !

So !

After some ? - purely to lubricate the thought process .

I could do this - seems like a lot of fuss to make a ‘stand’ just to hold a solid cable connector - which can be accessed through the ceiling hole in the event of an issue .

A6CCB3BC-BAF5-44BC-93DA-9CBC4F522BB0.jpeg

Why not use Cat5E..?? 6/7 is overkill, unless you are planning on streaming 4K HD between devices and using high speed WiFi hubs... In a house, CAT5E will transfer close to 1gbps due to the distances involved anyway so why are you worrying ..? The end device connected by WiFi will always be the slowest link. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Why not use Cat5E..?? 6/7 is overkill, unless you are planning on streaming 4K HD between devices and using high speed WiFi hubs... In a house, CAT5E will transfer close to 1gbps due to the distances involved anyway so why are you worrying ..? The end device connected by WiFi will always be the slowest link. 

Yeah ; the thread title is wrong it should be “ Cat cable solid / stranded “ - that’s the issue I think ! . Your comment though is much appreciated...

That's a nifty tool, A basic punch down tool would do the same job, just 8 times as slow.

In the video their using a keystone module. That's not a bad way of doing the connection but it is still reliant on having a patch cable between the solid core cable and the device. Where as you can buy a RJ45 to connect straight on to the solid core, (they teeth are slightly different in the connector compared to standard connectors) The only downside to crimping the solid core cable is the lack of flexibility and the connection isn't as good, so constant wobbling may eventually break it. 

As for choosing the cable type. Personally i went for cat5 for the same reason PeterW said, the increase in speed isn't necessary in a home unless your streaming 4K video maybe or moving large data. But the bottle neck can then be your network switch or hub, or you could accidentally have used a cat5 cable somewhere in they system and forgot about it. My favorite approach is to use link aggregation on my home server using multiple cables. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, AdamSee said:

That's a nifty tool, A basic punch down tool would do the same job, just 8 times as slow.

In the video their using a keystone module. That's not a bad way of doing the connection but it is still reliant on having a patch cable between the solid core cable and the device. Where as you can buy a RJ45 to connect straight on to the solid core, (they teeth are slightly different in the connector compared to standard connectors) The only downside to crimping the solid core cable is the lack of flexibility and the connection isn't as good, so constant wobbling may eventually break it. 

As for choosing the cable type. Personally i went for cat5 for the same reason PeterW said, the increase in speed isn't necessary in a home unless your streaming 4K video maybe or moving large data. But the bottle neck can then be your network switch or hub, or you could accidentally have used a cat5 cable somewhere in they system and forgot about it. My favorite approach is to use link aggregation on my home server using multiple cables. 

So should I just go stranded everywhere ? For everything???? Except any faceplate Ethernet connections which can be solid core .

Edited by pocster

20 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Won't Labour nationalise your network and insist that your neighbours can use it for nothing.

Why worry about how fast the LAN is when we will be forced to use dial up because the repairs have not happened.

Does dial up still exist? Either way im sure that wont be the case. The day BT becomes nationalised is the same day their planning on striking, so nothing will work.

Pocster - I think that a combination of the two is the way to go. Get yourself a small network cab with a patch panel and network switch and route everything to it. Solid core with facepates or keystones to places where its needed and for everything else use stranded cable with both ends crimped to RJ45 connectors which can get connected to the network switch.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, AdamSee said:

Does dial up still exist? Either way im sure that wont be the case. The day BT becomes nationalised is the same day their planning on striking, so nothing will work.

Pocster - I think that a combination of the two is the way to go. Get yourself a small network cab with a patch panel and network switch and route everything to it. Solid core with facepates or keystones to places where its needed and for everything else use stranded cable with both ends crimped to RJ45 connectors which can get connected to the network switch.

Yes I think this makes life simpler . Stranded to sensors - solid to any face plate points . 

Bought ages ago a 2nd hand mega poe router off eBay - 48 ports I think - for like 50 quid !!!

Edited by pocster

3 minutes ago, pocster said:

Bought ages ago a 2nd hand mega poe router off eBay - 48 ports I think - for like 50 quid !!!

I bet that’s an old Cisco 3x48 series ... they are not dumb, they are a managed switch so you will need to configure the gateways and vLans etc on it. Was it reset to factory ..?

14 minutes ago, pocster said:

Bought ages ago a 2nd hand mega poe router off eBay - 48 ports I think - for like 50 quid !!!

Same price as secondhand walk on glazing.

10 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Was it reset to factory ..?

Is that the IT equivalent of making sure something is useful when you put it in a premade hole.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

I bet that’s an old Cisco 3x48 series ... they are not dumb, they are a managed switch so you will need to configure the gateways and vLans etc on it. Was it reset to factory ..?

Yeah it’s something like that . I reset it and configured it then tested it with a few poe things . Worked like a charm - nice bit of kit. Better than buying a ‘modern’ new one for like 700 quid or more !