Reasonably priced EWI

K78

I'm not a fan of rendered ewi for a number of reasons. Price, ages badly (green, "leopard spots") etc. 

I looked at using battens and cladding but was but off due to the depth of battens that are required. 

Ive been looking at cheaper cladding options and stumbled across this. The brackets that the battens attach to are a simple, smart solution.

2 hours ago, jack said:

Seems a smart system.  Any idea on pricing?

I think so too. The fixing brackets for the battens are a good idea.  

The tiles are pre drilled for easy fixing and work out at £13m2. I've not priced the brackets. I was looking at cladding rather than insulation when I stumbled across them. 

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

It's just a modern take on hanging tiles.  That is fine if you like that finish, but it is so out of touch with the local vernacular here that I would be surprised if the planners allowed it.

I love the finish. I think it looks really good. Obviously doesn't need treating either. 

Im hoping I won't be a issue with planning. There are many new schools and apartment blocks locally with some really garish cladding. 

image.png

image.png

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by K78

19 minutes ago, Stones said:

That particular system uses fibre cement 'slates'.  They look great new, not so good a few years further down the line.  

That is something I hadn't considered. 

Their vertigo tile is the only tile specifically for vertical installation and not roof installation. Some of their cheaper tiles can be used for both. I wonder if the Vertigo tiles have a coating to prevent this, similar to the fibre cement "wood" cladding?

There seems to be a different finish on the roof and wall tiles in the last pic of my previous post.

Ive just sent a email to ask as I'm really interested in this product. 

image.jpeg

Edited by K78

There are a lot of houses up here with cement fibre slates on the roof, and without exception, every single one I have seen has weathered significantly from dark slate to light cement grey.  This particular product may well be immune from this problem but I suspect there will not be any guarantees on colour fastness.

Could you fix real slate using this system?  Downside would perhaps be that you would have to buy the slates without fixing holes and drill them in the appropriate places yourself.  

Our timber cladding is fixed to battens which are themselves fixed through 165mm of EWI. Nothing difficult in it, just a very long fixing.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Stones said:

There are a lot of houses up here with cement fibre slates on the roof, and without exception, every single one I have seen has weathered significantly from dark slate to light cement grey.  This particular product may well be immune from this problem but I suspect there will not be any guarantees on colour fastness.

Could you fix real slate using this system?  Downside would perhaps be that you would have to buy the slates without fixing holes and drill them in the appropriate places yourself.  

Our timber cladding is fixed to battens which are themselves fixed through 165mm of EWI. Nothing difficult in it, just a very long fixing.

As as far as I can see you can fix anything to it weight permitting. 

I like the the look of the vertigo tiles, but I'm glad you mentioned the weathering. I'll have to check that out.

They are offered in a range of colours and a few have a "mottled" design so I'm hoping they will be designed to preserve their finish. 

They seem to have been used on a few apartment blocks, hotels and large office buildings. They will end up looking terrible if they age like roof tiles. 

With the system you used, do the battens and fixings mechanically secure the insulation?

Edited by K78

Better system for fixing which is adjustable are these http://elemental.ie/eko-thermobrackets/

You can use any type of rainscreen cladding then on them, tiles, stone, timber, Glass Fibre Reinforced Concrete, Parklex, etc. They've a far better thermal performance than the ones in the first post. Remember all these brackets penetrate the external insulation so are all cold bridges. While small you do have a lot of them in an elevation.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

This is really interesting, I have wondered about fixing rain screens to ewi.

@Stones did you just use long screws to fix your batons, did you plug them or use concrete screws, any chance of some pictures?

I wonder if you can tile over EPS with large format tiles.

• 2 months later...

I've decided to take this approach using the Eko Thermobrackets Dudda suggested. 

Im having a real headache deciding which type of insulation to use. The wall make up will be 225mm block, 200mm insulation and timber cladding. 

What is best option at 200mm thick?

Any advice on cheap suppliers would be greatly appreciated too. 

Thanks