Small roofing project - log store

DaveH

Hi all,

I have some leftover slates from my house and garage build that I intend to use on my log and bin store area. I have a wall approx. 5.5m long with the garage at one end and a 1m return wall at the other end. I asked the builders to install some flashing before they laid the coping stones on the top of the wall. It will essentially be like a 5.5m long porch area. What would be the best way to construct the rafters etc? Due to the span will I need to use some steelwork? Or install a timber pillar in the middle?

log store.jpeg

You could get a couple of railway sleepers and cut them down the middle to make some decent 4x4 oak post for £8 then make the frame into 3 bays. Bolt a 4x2 along the back wall, cut your rafters to hang off them and use the oak at the front. Will look really nice !

Copy what @jfb did with a central post. I would also make a base to raise the logs off the ground using pressure treated timber or just spare bricks with no mortar between (to improve air flow and drainage).

2 leftover pallets make up the base of my log store.  You end up with a lot of pallets when you build a house and you have to find something to do with them.  Shed, Bike rack, temporary steps, log store, and if all else fails, firewood.

This from the tinternet (so must be true!)

pallets. Generally, pallets are safe to burn in fireplaces, although those that are treated with the fumigant methyl bromide (labeled with the initials MB) are unsafe to burn.

22 hours ago, jfb said:

I made mine out of old joists I had pulled out on the house and some left over tiles that didn't quite make the grade for the main roof.

IMG_20191103_135911688.jpg

That's just the kind of thing I was thinking JFB (although slightly less rustic). Yours looks great.

I was just unsure whether I would need a central post or not with the 5.5m span I have. I think I will install one regardless.

And yes, I will be constructing a base for the logs to sit on with plenty of airflow. A lot of my pallets have already gone to friends to construct treehouses, rustic furniture, garden planters etc.