Upgrade electric for hob.

Alexphd1

This is mainly aimed @Nickfromwales & @ProDave .

A friend has a small problem when upgrading their hob. She has changed it from a 5 burner gas hob to single gas burner 5 induction hob with the existing work top being cut bigger (so old hob can't go back) . Hob is on a island with a concrete floor 

I think we can all see where this is going.... apart from the kitchen guy who supplied the original kitchen and both hobs who has now washed his hands of the problem.

The new hob does not have a big enough electrical supply, at the moment she can use the gas and one electrical hob.

Only solution I can come up with is replace the 15mm gas pipe with a 10mm copper pipe with PVC coating and sneak in a 6mm electrical cable aswell this is in a 2m long conduit (plastic water pipe). What's the regs view on this? 

What size is the existing electric cable?

10mm gas pipe will be okay for a single hob (it is okay for a 4 burner hob) 

What size is the duct you are hoping to pass this cable through?

How are you going to get the old gas pipe out and a new one in? I presume there is a bend at each end?  For my 10mm gas pipe I fed it through a round duct with a gentle radius hockey stick and it was hard enough persuading the 10mm pipe that it was "flexible"

I presume the existing supply is just a 2.5 of the rings main for the gas ignitor. 

Practically its doable as one end of the conduit is the cellar and its straight up into the center of the island no bends. 

Edited by Alexphd1

Then do it. I would quietly ignore any segregation issues over that short distance.

I fitted a 25mm conduit with a 10mm cable to our island, even though it currently only feeds a pop up socket, it is there should we change the gas hob for induction.