Sunken Seating

Mark68

I have got a redundant hole in my garden from a sunken trampoline project that has now been out grown.

I would like to turn it into a sunken seating area with a fire pit.

I am think of pouring solid concrete seats the question is what do I do to keep the earth side dry.

Can i just line the hole with a damproof membrane then cut the middle out for drainage when the concrete is done.

The middle of the seating area will be gravel.

I don't want to end up with permanently damp seats. I also want the render the seats to give them a finish.

Any help would be great or any idea where to look.

Thanks

IMG_4550 (1).jpg

Pit.JPG

If it were me...I'd over complicate things! :) Make a big ply board cut to the seating profile to shape the render. Rotate around a dead square central pole - use that for a parasol later if required.

I've mulled doing similar for a home brew hot tub.

20190828_101505.thumb.jpg.7ae801db0b2631ef9df955b925ac1d18.jpg

Would need some drainage tubes down from the seat to shed standing water. A nice set of concrete steps too. 

12 minutes ago, Mark68 said:

Thanks Guys

It has never flooded

Does a waterproof additive really work in the concrete mix.

I have seen an everbuild product at £5 for 5 litres and a sika product for £50 for 5 litres

I wondered at the difference. I've been using the Everbuild Integral Waterproofer from Toolstation for years and its really good imo. 

Makes you wonder as Everbuild is a Sika company. Interesting to compare the dmsafety data sheets:

Screenshot_20190828-135142_Drive.thumb.jpg.ab4e6e08d17affaadf2f2c3051885d7d.jpg

Then SikaProof:

Screenshot_20190828-135553_Drive.thumb.jpg.b72bdb5c59bf99af99e1feee9e915dfd.jpg

interesting, so would you say concrete with everbuild waterproofer becomes waterproof

I guess I could use a layer of DPC and add the waterproofer for what it costs.

Steamy tea - I know what you are saying. I am trying to go for a maintenance free option. 

33 minutes ago, Mark68 said:

interesting, so would you say concrete with everbuild waterproofer becomes waterproof

That's the general idea! :)

I think you have to pour it it one hit. If you do a mix and let it dry then lay another mix on top, the "join" won't be waterproof.

11 hours ago, Onoff said:

If it were me...I'd over complicate things! :)

I've mulled doing similar for a home brew hot tub.

firstly a hot tub to remove rust, now a hot tub for home brew. i suppose if youre going to do it, then go big. will the next thing be the BH beer sales? BHIPA anyone?

13 minutes ago, Simplysimon said:

firstly a hot tub to remove rust, now a hot tub for home brew. i suppose if youre going to do it, then go big. will the next thing be the BH beer sales? BHIPA anyone?

Home brew as in "DIY" not the drinky sort. 

Timely reminder that I've a cider kit from The Range to make sometime...luckily I've 40 500ml bottles amassed.....

I'm back again with another question.

So my concrete seating is going to a rectangle (hollow in the middle, bit like a square polo)  400mm deep 700mm wide and 3m x 3m.

So that has a volume of 2.5 cu/m.

As it is not structural can I throw in all my old blocks and broken slabs etc as i pour to make up some of the volume? Or would it end up cracking etc 

Thanks