Ideas for external insulation

Jilly

The stable conversion is block built. Internal insulation would obviously be easiest, but I want to explore the possibility of external insulation. It has black weatherboarding which has to look the same when finished, and we are probably going to keep the roof as it as because it is sound, so there won't be much room. Can anyone send me in a direction of special space age thin insulation with a low u value? The building is so small, I researching how to save space, internally. Alternatively can anyone recommend a methods of insulating a solid block wall? I'm guessing we might manage insulated plaster board with dot and dab ourselves ? 

We have a lot of glass so will probable end up having to compensate and needing SAP calculations etc

1 hour ago, Jilly said:

The stable conversion is block built. Internal insulation would obviously be easiest, but I want to explore the possibility of external insulation. It has black weatherboarding which has to look the same when finished, and we are probably going to keep the roof as it as because it is sound, so there won't be much room. Can anyone send me in a direction of special space age thin insulation with a low u value? The building is so small, I researching how to save space, internally. Alternatively can anyone recommend a methods of insulating a solid block wall? I'm guessing we might manage insulated plaster board with dot and dab ourselves ? 

We have a lot of glass so will probable end up having to compensate and needing SAP calculations etc

This is one I did a couple of weeks ago As Russell says not much way around increasing the wall thickness by a 100 mil 

5A793306-F708-4B8A-8352-9B35A4CCBDEE.jpeg

834F1382-2B9B-4901-B9E9-233804EC2343.jpeg

Have aerogel prices come down?

if I have my numbers right, 100mm of external wall insulation ... one you have added the extra things such as render ... will not take you much beyond Building Regs basic standard.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

2 minutes ago, Sensus said:

Which is all you need to achieve, of course - and it's actually quite a high standard compared to the vast majority of existing housing stock in the UK.

True ... but the marginal cost vs extra heating bills over 20 years and so on ...

Edited by Ferdinand