Have we missed anything?

So here are our plans, we are looking to have a TF, room in a roof truss house, the downstairs bathroom will be tanked out to allow for future use if we need to have a wet room in the future, and the front room would change to a bedroom, the door moved so it would have its own ensuite. The pcloakroom next to it would turn into a WC if needed, for future relative needs.

The utility is perhaps a bit oversized but that's due to us have a large dog, who gets a bit muddy from time to time, and needs a drying space!

there will be a standalone garage, and a garden room to allow space for hobbies etc etc.

if you have any thoughts then please shout, 

thanks 

IMG_1317.PNG

IMG_1318.PNG

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Check with building regs if you can have a bedroom door opening right at the top of the stairs.  I am pretty sure this would not be allowed in Scotland without a bit more of landing space.

Make your stairs into a dogleg round the shower, gain 1-1.5m at the top, use either winders or a half landing, insert your downstairs cloakroom outside the utility under the stairs and the bit of extra landing we have just created. Pinch point is ceiling at dogleg, but you should get 2-3 steps or could put cupboard up into corner of bedroom to conceal more. May complicate possible stairlift requirement if it applies.

Whilst we are at it, it is always a benefit ti make the stairs 37-38 degrees rather than 42 if you have space.

If you have a muddy St Bernard that needs showerflinging, perhaps look at a door from utility to shower? Would need rearrangement but prob. doable. Whb opposite door to hall, shower other end, loo backing on to utility.

Are the bifold at E or W end? Not sure that bifold will do your airtightness much service in 10 years time.

Are those S facing roof windows an overheat risk in the bedrooms?

Window on N Side of void to allow stack ventilation out of the sun? Really not sure whether that will offer much over the S side ones over the landing that you can actually reach, as it would be a bugger to get to for cleaning and maintenance.

If you wanted a more standalone grannexe in the future the utility could be split into a kitchen and a corridor / smaller utility. External shower for muddy St Bernard or get Cat.

Looking pretty good.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

I agree about the bifolds being an airtightness liability.  Few seal very well when new, and all get more leaky with time, just because of the inherent inability of the seals to be kept properly compressed, because of the geometry of the closing mechanism.  Pretty much everyone I know that's had bifolds has mentioned that they never actually open them up fully, so although the idea sounds nice, and they look good in magazines, I'm inclined to think that the poor performance probably isn't worth putting up with for the very occasional time when they might be fully opened.  We have French windows and very rarely open up both, in fact I don't think we ever have, apart from checking to see they worked OK when they were installed.

There are some pretty good lift and slide options that are much more airtight, and will retain that airtightness for years, or their is the option of having a couple of fixed panes either side with French eindows in the centre, as they also seal well and the sealing stays reliable over time.

1 hour ago, JandD said:

Thanks Ferdinand great comments, apart from the cat! 

Will discuss tonight, and have a look...

The bi folds are east end.

In that case consider how you enjoy the setting sun with the glass of brandy you have obtained from your St Bernard.

Learher chairs in the study is one way, or a sheltered terrace, outside the entrance, or extend your sitting area at the E end beyond the S side of the house, or something in the back garden.

F

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

Our planned utility is 5.7 x 2.4 with a wet room included for the purposes of showering of a not so big dog. I read a blog, somewhere, from someone who had a managed to complete a very nice build and they quoted that the large utility room was the best thing about it!

Some high spec, new build, bungalows near here have "utility room" in the sale details. I, being nosy, viewed one of them and was gobsmacked to find that the utility "room" quoted was just big enough for a sink with a washer one side and a dryer the other! It was positioned in the hallway with no room to step into the so called utility room so should, really have been called a utility "cupboard".

1 hour ago, patp said:

Our planned utility is 5.7 x 2.4 with a wet room included for the purposes of showering of a not so big dog. I read a blog, somewhere, from someone who had a managed to complete a very nice build and they quoted that the large utility room was the best thing about it!

Some high spec, new build, bungalows near here have "utility room" in the sale details. I, being nosy, viewed one of them and was gobsmacked to find that the utility "room" quoted was just big enough for a sink with a washer one side and a dryer the other! It was positioned in the hallway with no room to step into the so called utility room so should, really have been called a utility "cupboard".

Just watch that you must keep all electrics >3M from the shower tray, not just the shower head.  Doable in a 5.7M utility room if you put the shower one end and the appliances at the other, but I don't think @JandD utility is big enough to allow that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, patp said:

Our planned utility is 5.7 x 2.4 with a wet room included for the purposes of showering of a not so big dog.

Where is the room for the 24 hour on call dog-butler?

(Update. Got it ... that’s the Master Bedroom)

:ph34r:

latest?cb=20160616191030

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Haha 2