Indoor/outdoor paint used on conservatory

H F

12 hours ago, PeterW said:

Why are you replacing the beading ..?? Repair may be quicker and easier - is there anything actually wrong with it ..?

The beading is shot and was never installed correctly - it’s also a soft wood. They also used lots of short lengths so there are joints everywhere and they have been sealed properly so water can get in. It’s not been the best job in the world.

How long since those windows were last painted? If it was four or five years, then they don't look too bad to me. In the pictures of the beading you've posted they look OK too. I've used both Bedec MSP and Johnstones, and think Bedec is much better. Huge faff with the Johnstones, with primer, undercoat and topcoat.

I regularly have to repaint our cills and bottom beads on exposed windows.

Don't know about the cracks on the wide sections of wood. Could they be plywood?

48 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Ah ok. Don’t forget to prime the back of it before you use it to make it last longer. 

We have also received that advice from a surveyor friend and will definitely be doing that. 

5 minutes ago, DavidFrancis said:

How long since those windows were last painted?

We think that these windows were last painted 18 months ago. They were never primed and we think they only did one coat. We're thinking of going with Ronseal if they can match colours.

6 minutes ago, DavidFrancis said:

Don't know about the cracks on the wide sections of wood. Could they be plywood?

They have used plywood in some places and it all needs replacing because its swelled and cracking. 

As a priority we're going to tackle the beading on the windows, because one of the windows looks to be getting some water in the double glazing and replacing all the windows is a scenario we really need to avoid. 

1 hour ago, Home Farm said:

We think that these windows were last painted 18 months ago. They were never primed and we think they only did one coat. We're thinking of going with Ronseal if they can match colours.

You don't need to prime or undercoat with Bedec MSP but it does need 2 to 3 coats. I wonder if they skimped on that? Data sheet for it here:

MSP-technical-data-sheet.pdf

3 hours ago, Home Farm said:

Thanks the link. We’ve sound good stuff on their site and will probably place an order today.

if you are going for the clearance stuff expect to paint it. 

May be worth a call just to check that it is suitable for your application.

Edited by Ferdinand

2 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

if you are going for the clearance stuff expect to paint it. 

We've already got the wax stain, so prepared for that. It'll be an exact colour match. Sorry, what I failed to mentioned is the we're buying is quadrant for inside the conservatory to "seal" the area between the floor and skirting board which has gaps and also gets drafts.

The saga for window beading outside continues.

Edited by Home Farm

If you've got water between one pane and another, it's probably not to do with the beading. More likely the seal on that unit (the material between the two panes) has failed. I've read that using acetoxy silicone to bed the panes can cause this problem, but there's probably a few other causes besides. (Everbuild say their acetoxy silicone should not be used near the edge sealant of double-glazed units.)

Can someone please tell me what this type of draft excluder is called. It'll slide into the thin recess in the door (as per the picture) and then there'll be a 'fat' bit (about 1cm wide) that will act at the draft protector for the French door? 

IMG_1493.jpg

Right, so I think these are called gasket seals for doors - now my issue is that the track inside the door is really narrow, about 1mm and the gap between the two French doors is 10mm, and I can't seem to find a product that can slide into out 1mm slit. 

On 22/08/2019 at 16:57, Ferdinand said:

We purchased a stack of 22mm quadrant beading and it arrived on Friday, so the week ahead is dedicated to laying it. Thanks for the heads up on Ron Currie - their prices have been great/

• Like 1

Just looked at the delivery charge to my area £37 !  That’s on the higher side if Normal......  its not that I had to have something but I was tempted ! 

Edited by Cpd

23 minutes ago, Cpd said:

Just looked at the delivery charge to my area £37 !  That’s on the higher side if Normal......  it that I had to have something but I was tempted ! 

I am about to order a 2.5m x 2.5m corrugated roof for my shed from somewhere15 miles away, and last time they charged me £50.

So it is now a £50 contribution to a roof rack.