Repaired a broken slate step

We recently had a friend visit us who stood awkwardly on one of our slate steps leading to our front door. The slate must have been very brittle and large chunk came away.

Not really sure what to do, I popped down to our local hardware store and spoke to our go-to guy there who recommended an extremely strong adhesive for this repair.

I made a video of this, and really chuffed with the way it turned out.

https://youtu.be/CAiM1zynwrY

Not sure how well the adhesive is going to hold and whether it'll break again if someone stands on it. If it does, does anyone have any other suggestions how one could repair a broken slate step?

I would always drill holes into each piece of stone and glue in stainless steel threaded rod to give it the desired strength as well as glueing the surfaces. then use a week lime, cement, sand mortar with the correct colouring oxide to match the existing stonework to point the gap an blend in. 

• Like 1

Some of the adhesives are super strong. Standard CT1 is a goto for many here. Leave for 72 hours before wiggling for best results. CT1 Power Grab n Bond for sticking heavier things.

Sticks Like Sh!t is alright too.

I just fixed a neighbours leaking plastic oil tank with Evo Stik The Dog's B@ll@cks after first cleaning the surface with isopropyl alcohol. Been done a couple of months now.

Top tip, wipe 'silicone' off with baby wipes (credit to @Nickfromwales).

Make sure your visible crack in the slate is filled or you might let water in that'll freeze. 

12 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Some of the adhesives are super strong. Standard CT1 is a goto for many here. Leave for 72 hours before wiggling for best results. CT1 Power Grab n Bond for sticking heavier things.

Sticks Like Sh!t is alright too.

I just fixed a neighbours leaking plastic oil tank with Evo Stik The Dog's B@ll@cks after first cleaning the surface with isopropyl alcohol. Been done a couple of months now.

Top tip, wipe 'silicone' off with baby wipes (credit to @Nickfromwales).

Make sure your visible crack in the slate is filled or you might let water in that'll freeze. 

And do not flush the wipes down the loo !

• 1 month later...

Puchase Polyester resin stone glue(vertical clear) Dowling with threaded stainless steel 8mm threaded rod is brilliant.

Keep the glue away from the edge joints. Make some stone dust and mix with some glue to make a paste and push into these open joints. (The ratio will be correct when the colour of this paste, is the same as the stone when wet.) When this has gone off, it can be ground back roughly to the surface and then sanded lightly to produce and invisible repair. This is an industry standard method.

Recovered_JPEG Digital Camera_838.jpg