Corrugated Metal Roofing

As my current self build is concluding I have started thinking again about building a holiday house near Aviemore. I really like the idea of building a house using materials that looks like the boat house below: Reclaimed Corrugated metal sheets for the roof and weathered Larch.

Would it be possible to use reclaimed metal corrugated sheets for the roofing if underneath the reclaimed sheets the actual watertight roofing was one of the materials used for flat roofs?  Or could the reclaimed sheets be bonded onto thin plastic corrugated sheets of the same size and profile?

I have looked into the options of using Cor-ten steel, however it would be far too expensive.

956153001_boathouse.PNG.d477d9f900f7e798ad15836f256b4a9e.PNG

5 minutes ago, Ian said:

There's quite a few proprietary systems on the market for roofing that would allow you to do exactly what you asked eg:

https://www.kingspan.com/gb/en-gb/products/insulated-panel-systems/roof-panel-systems/slate-tile-support-roof-panels-ks1000-ts

Thank you. Do you know what a rough cost psm of such a system would be?

Sorry I don't know the cost of it. I've only used it once which was on a commercial project a while ago. It worked very well and was very quick to install.

I also used this product on a large domestic extension quite a few years ago. https://onduline.co.uk/products/ondutile/  I couldn't meet the minimum roof pitch for an interlocking roof tile so installed the Onduline under the tiles. As far as the Building Inspector was concerned the Onduline was the roof that gave the weather protection and the concrete roof tiles were purely cosmetic.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ian said:

Sorry I don't know the cost of it. I've only used it once which was on a commercial project a while ago. It worked very well and was very quick to install.

I also used this product on a large domestic extension quite a few years ago. https://onduline.co.uk/products/ondutile/  I couldn't meet the minimum roof pitch for an interlocking roof tile so installed the Onduline under the tiles. As far as the Building Inspector was concerned the Onduline was the roof that gave the weather protection and the concrete roof tiles were purely cosmetic.

Thanks again for this, I will contact both companies to try and get rough pricing.

1 minute ago, Moonshine said:

It may not be on the top of your list, but you may want to consider rain noise and if you are concerned about it, to control it.

Though if its a holiday house it may add to the ambience

Thanks.

Based on what I have read on the forum previously I thought if it's a warm roof you shouldn't be able to hear the rain noise.

30 minutes ago, ultramods said:

Thanks.

Based on what I have read on the forum previously I thought if it's a warm roof you shouldn't be able to hear the rain noise.

Depends on the rainfall rate, i have done a fair bit of assessment of rain noise while is aus, as they use metal roofs a lot. The CSR red book has some advice and rainfall reduction values based on a number of metal roof build ups.

• Thanks 1

I once had a corrugated metal roof that might be considered. a design feature now.......single storey, pitched roof, no internal ceilings we just looked at underside of metal roof ......edgy design not, actually just no materials available to put in ceilings......hot as hades and  loud as a battlefield in rains.  Was in Africa of course.

• Haha 1