Leaving backboxes proud?

MJNewton

I am currently installing a number of additional sockets, switches etc in advance of a room being re-skimmed. The walls are dot-and-dab plasterboard on blocks and I am finding that in places the 25mm metal backboxes are sitting slightly proud of the plasterboard by ~1-2mm. Will the plasterer be cursing me for this for making his job harder, risking damage to his tools etc?

I could sink the boxes in to the blocks but as things currently stand this will add a fair bit of faff to what has otherwise been a really easy job given the ease with which the holes can be cut in the plasterboard and the cables routed behind it. No chasing into the blocks has been required thus far.

(P.S. Thumbs-up to whoever decided the forum categories - every question I've ever wanted to ask on here has had a clear and obvious sub-forum sitting there waiting for it!)

I am some way off finding/appointing a plasterer... In fact I can't help but feel that getting to that stage is only a few steps shy of the 'selecting soft furnishings' stage and I can't currently imagine when that'll be, if ever!

With only ~1-2mm (max) protusion it should be within the depth of any skim and indeed my sockets already sit flush with the current surface given the recess/wraparound they have (granted flat plate accessories might not, but would definitely do so once skimmed).

Grommets are in; the box I bought over 10 years ago seems to never get emptier despite how many I feel I've used over the years!

Edited by MJNewton

56 minutes ago, MJNewton said:

I am currently installing a number of additional sockets, switches etc in advance of a room being re-skimmed. The walls are dot-and-dab plasterboard on blocks and I am finding that in places the 25mm metal backboxes are sitting slightly proud of the plasterboard by ~1-2mm. Will the plasterer be cursing me for this for making his job harder, risking damage to his tools etc?

I could sink the boxes in to the blocks but as things currently stand this will add a fair bit of faff to what has otherwise been a really easy job given the ease with which the holes can be cut in the plasterboard and the cables routed behind it. No chasing into the blocks has been required thus far.

(P.S. Thumbs-up to whoever decided the forum categories - every question I've ever wanted to ask on here has had a clear and obvious sub-forum sitting there waiting for it!)

I would say 1-2mm is going to be fine, the man will want to put a 2-3mm skim on the wall anyway - a good plastered can do a lot to sort issues - bear mind every trade before a plasterer claims "the plasterer can fix it" going all the way back to how level a stud is! Although this is a bit lazy, there is some truth. 

If you want you could chip, drill, etc. some of the brick down to get the box in further - the further the box goes in, by the time you add skim, you end up with a few more mm of wriggle room for wires. 

Edited by Carrerahill

Perhaps I will just carry on as I am then, when I get to the appointing a plasterer stage, will check its not a big deal for them. If it is I could always go round all the boxes and chip away behind those that need a little sinking otherwise I'll avoid the hassle of having to do so.