Tile layout

Pete

Tile size 1.2m x 1.2m.

Bit of a dilemma with the tiling. Hope there is enough info in the drawing but if not I will soon find out!. How to decide on the tile layout is a bit of pain to be honest. Not sure whether to centre, grout line from the full height window at the end of the corridor or centre it near the section of corridor near the front door? 

The other bit that is niggling me is whether to overlook this area completely and just tile it how it ends up if I want to have a neater looking tile near the glass doors. If I centre it on the corridor I will end up with a horrible small section of tile between the support columns( small squares next to dotted line) and the glass doors OR I lay tile that will allow me to put a whole tile with cutout upto the column and then a narrow tile with cutout from the glass doors to the column ( distance from glass doors to column approx 200mm) and thus avoiding small section of tile approx 150mm x 200mm. If I choose to have a neat tile cut by the columns i will have a grout line that is not centred at any point down the corridor but seen as it is staggered in width will it matter (to me with severe OCD all things self- build). Hope this makes sense. TIA

15637311040998914735854072721026.jpg

Have you bought the tiles yet?  That 1300 corridor with a 1200 tile.......

If it were me I would set my sight lines from the front door looking through the house to your glazed area.  That will be first thing you see when you enter and will always be in your face.  You could get a rug for the corridor perhaps

2 minutes ago, lizzie said:

Have you bought the tiles yet?  That 1300 corridor with a 1200 tile.......

If it were me I would set my sight lines from the front door looking through the house to your glazed area.  That will be first thing you see when you enter and will always be in your face.  You could get a rug for the corridor perhaps

I do not have a problem with the sight lines going from the front door to the glazed area, it is the tile spacing across this area that I am struggling to make a decision on and yes I already have the tiles

@Pete

Put the untidy bit in the middle of the run from front door to back to decouple the two ends.

I would have them tidy at both ends of the front-door to glazing-with-pillars run where your spaces are, then use a band of these or contrasting tiles reduced to whatever space is left to mark the transition from hall to kitchen-diner, as a "feature not a bug" thing. This assumes parallel walls front and back, and precision tiling if starting from both ends - any wonky angles will need planning for.

On the corridor I would line up with the wall straight through to the door at the LH end to fit in. I would use 100mm cuts where the 1.3m wide bit is, and 400 cuts on the top side of the corridor where it expands to 2m.

I would deal with the bottom side wider section near the door by having some sort of 400 deep bookshelf, display or storage unit - possibly tiled underneath but it would make it look more intended. 400 possibly feels the right depth for shoes and various outdoor gubbins and sports and pets doodahs, and is in roughly the right place in the layout. Would give variable cuts on one side of the corridor only, which I think would help.

I think that all those 400 cuts, including the potentially untidy middle ones as perhaps the bottom of your shoe cupboard, may save you quite a lot of wastage.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks very smart - please post more pics as you progress.

Can I ask a couple of  questions?

What tiles are they? SWIMBO likes them, we have had our eye on some 1200 x 1200 matt white marble effect

Why did you use the matting?