New build in Cotswold village

Oldsteel

So pleased to find this forum. We built our first house in Ireland just 10 years ago, moved back to UK two years ago with the intention of building here. Delighted to get planning permission two weeks ago - which took 6 months and lots of paperwork (and fees!) and now the real work starts. Plan to spend at least 6 months in preparation, now at the detailed drawing stage. No idea yet whether we employ a main contractor, project manager or mix of the two. Our last build was timber frame and wouldn't go that route again, on other hand the MHRV was the best thing we did so that is top of the list along with UFH, heat pump and solar PV.  Looking forward to joining the self build community!

8 minutes ago, Christine Walker said:

Welcome aboard, interesting to see you say you wouldn’t go timber frame again , why?

Hi Christine a number of reasons I guess. First is the general feeling of solidity, we had creaking top floors and joists. Also the roof area was trussed which made the attic area unusable. Mistakes were made by the timber frame company not using steel for a 4m span over some sliding doors, which sunk subsequently and caused the doors to jam. Now, all of these were fixable in advance had we not relied on the timber frame company (recommended by our builder) to do the right thing with our drawings, and our builder to properly fix the first floor. All in all, a masonry build will be  more flexible, I can watch it being built and make adjustments if required as we go. To adjust a factory built product is much more difficult. Are you at the decision point now? The main reason we went timber frame is for simplicity and speed of build together with supposedly better thermal insulation, but I am willing now to forego that this time around.

29 minutes ago, Oldsteel said:

Hi Christine a number of reasons I guess. First is the general feeling of solidity, we had creaking top floors and joists. Also the roof area was trussed which made the attic area unusable. Mistakes were made by the timber frame company not using steel for a 4m span over some sliding doors, which sunk subsequently and caused the doors to jam. Now, all of these were fixable in advance had we not relied on the timber frame company (recommended by our builder) to do the right thing with our drawings, and our builder to properly fix the first floor. All in all, a masonry build will be  more flexible, I can watch it being built and make adjustments if required as we go. To adjust a factory built product is much more difficult. Are you at the decision point now? The main reason we went timber frame is for simplicity and speed of build together with supposedly better thermal insulation, but I am willing now to forego that this time around.

I’m used to both TF and traditional 

Traditional is a much more solid build While TF are Quick Especially In winter They are prone to more movement and cracking And more expensive

You will find your TH will go up a little slower but as you say will give you more flexibility     

31 minutes ago, Oldsteel said:

Hi, we have just finished our third timber frame build two factory built and one built on site, no problems with the TF at all in any of them, all done with the input of our own architect and structural engineer, first one was a bungalow and as you rightly say because of the trusses used it would not have been suitable for conversion but that was not something we would have wanted to do anyway, build two and three have both been one and a half storey so trusses were designed for this. It seems you have had a bad experience which has put you off but personally I wouldn’t do it any other way mostly for speed of build when you’re living in a caravan!

3 hours ago, Oldsteel said:

First is the general feeling of solidity, we had creaking top floors and joists. Also the roof area was trussed which made the attic area unusable.

I think you were probably unlucky with your TF build. We have a portal timber I-beam frame and have vaulted ceilings upstairs in some rooms. We don't have any movement or creaking but as you say it's not a good idea to change plans half way through with a TF.

• Like 1

I agree with @PeterStarck, we have an all-timber house, with vaulted ceilings upstairs, and don't have problems with movement.  The only area where we get any odd noises is from the bamboo flooring on the upper floor.  I bonded this down, with expansion spaces around the edges, but for some reason this flooring does make odd noises as it warms up and cools down.  I don't think it's anything to do with the the frame or floor construction itself, though.