Loft boarding

Right !

I’m starting to think about where my mvhr , header tank etc are going to go in my limited loft space . I was going to board with T&G directly onto the joists . So then I’ve got a platform for me and the stuff .

Assume this is ok . Was also at this point planning where I should fit the loft ladder .

Just thinking about access to mvhr for filter changes and header tank if there are any issues . 

BC1C4FC4-5A6F-42A0-8E3E-03B58337403E.jpeg

Remember you will need a condense drain from the unit. Make sure you have enough room the get the unit through the hatch and into position. The roof space is not that access friendly so make sure it will all work.

Must have been a mission doing the insulation!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Remember you will need a condense drain from the unit. Make sure you have enough room the get the unit through the hatch and into position. The roof space is not that access friendly so make sure it will all work.

Must have been a mission doing the insulation!

Lol

insulation was a mission ! Not 1 truss the same distance apart .

Which actually brings me to my next question how do I board with these trusses getting in the way ? - going to be a pig ? 

T&G won’t be strong enough for anything other than a small header tank - there are standard details for this. 

Tanks ideally need to be as high as possible - May be worth a separate platform for this. 

4 minutes ago, PeterW said:

T&G won’t be strong enough for anything other than a small header tank - there are standard details for this. 

Tanks ideally need to be as high as possible - May be worth a separate platform for this. 

Ok , so a platform attached to the rafters , is that what you mean ? So no load on the chipboard t&g ???

Although away I am still thinking about this ....

So T&G chipboard is ok sat on those trusses ? . I’m allowing for just my weight and mvhr unit . Will deal with header tank later . As I will have to cut each board around each rafter ( ?! ) I assume I screw noggins into the trusses to support the chipboard where it’s joint isn’t supported by a truss .

See it’s not all fun in the sun!

Edited by pocster

9 minutes ago, Onoff said:

What are the nominal truss centres? 600?

Yes 

I was thinking ( not clear in that photo ) that the centre of the trusses all sit on a partition wall ; so that would be a good place to mount mvhr and water tank - but access will be a dog !

Edited by pocster

8 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Water tanks need a specific design for the platform. It’s in the standard details. 

What do you mean by ‘standard details ‘ ? . It’s not in the plans as it’s a header tank supplied with rainwater harvesting system ( once I purchase it ).

1 minute ago, Mr Punter said:

Why have you got one of those?

Because you either install it now or never !

I know there’s a big debate over the ROI with these . But I think it should be compulsory on new builds . Also you are ‘helping the environment ‘ a bit ...

15 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Water tanks need a specific design for the platform. It’s in the standard details. 

Sorry when I say ‘water tank’ I of course mean header tank . Googling seems to suggest it doesn’t require any particularly special platform .

5 minutes ago, pocster said:

What do you mean by ‘standard details ‘ ? . It’s not in the plans as it’s a header tank supplied with rainwater harvesting system ( once I purchase it ).

BS 5268 Part 3 requires the build of a platform on a truss roof in a particular way...??

https://www.minera-rooftrusses.com/pdf/tech_specs/cold_water_storage_tank.pdf

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, PeterW said:

BS 5268 Part 3 requires the build of a platform on a truss roof in a particular way...??

https://www.minera-rooftrusses.com/pdf/tech_specs/cold_water_storage_tank.pdf

Ah I see ! . Does this apply even if my truss though is supported at its centre point by a stud wall ? . Can understand if the total truss span is unsupported. When I get back will stick a photo up of the central section .

4 minutes ago, pocster said:

Ah I see ! . Does this apply even if my truss though is supported at its centre point by a stud wall ? . Can understand if the total truss span is unsupported. When I get back will stick a photo up of the central section .

But anyway that seems simple enough to do .... thanks ! ?

Access still seems a pig was hoping for one loft hatch to access header tank and mvhr ! . But don’t think that will be possible especially as I wanted neither above a bedroom which leaves just the bathroom and hallway . As I can see header tank must be central of trusses . Mvhr erm .....

Mvhr is the dog now . Assume you want the air in/out pipework as short as possible . But if tanks in the middle wherever I mount the mvhr will be a fair distance from a suitable external wall .

8 minutes ago, pocster said:

a fair distance from a suitable external wall .

Go through the roof...?

If you have Marley Modern tiles, I may have a couple of Timloc roof vents that would be usable to go straight through the roof for a reasonable price... :D

On 02/07/2019 at 12:18, pocster said:

Right !

I’m starting to think about where my mvhr , header tank etc are going to go in my limited loft space . I was going to board with T&G directly onto the joists . So then I’ve got a platform for me and the stuff .

Assume this is ok . Was also at this point planning where I should fit the loft ladder .

Just thinking about access to mvhr for filter changes and header tank if there are any issues . 

BC1C4FC4-5A6F-42A0-8E3E-03B58337403E.jpeg

Aren’t you supposed to be on holiday in Lubricious, with your Truss left at home?

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, PeterW said:

Go through the roof...?

If you have Marley Modern tiles, I may have a couple of Timloc roof vents that would be usable to go straight through the roof for a reasonable price... :D

I read it was best to avoid the roof due to the associated cost and hassle ( I can’t do heights ) !

Is there a maximum length the air intake/out can be ? Or is it simply as short as possible???