Planning Agreed - Now the hard work starts !!!

colin7777

Hi All,

Found plenty of useful information and amazed with some of the projects that people have completed. We have recently received planning permission to build on a small plot by the river, the house will be 12metres long by 5 metres wide for part of it and expanding to 6 metres for the rest of the length. One and three quarter high style according to the quotes we have had back from timber companies.

As it is by the river in the Norfolk Broads the property has to be on piles with a steel ring beam, it will have a void under the building of around 800mm to allow water to flow if it ever floods.

So first two questions of many; looking for ideas and recommendations as to how best to create the ground floor foundations, a neighbour used wood and had to then put fire protection under the floor. second question as we are only a metre away from our boundary, again fire protection has been mentioned, has anyone had similar sitiation and what have they done to meet building regs.

Thanks

Colin

Can you not have piles, concrete ring beam, beam and block ground floor with brick and block ground floor walls and timber frame above? No issues with corrosion, fire protection or flood resilience.

You could externally clad the timber frame walls in slate, hanging tile or cement weatherboard.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, no bricks, rules seem crazy, wanted Cement/Fibre cladding but they say not allowed, must be 'Fire Risk' wood so it blends in, with what I am not sure as houses opposite are brick and others have render.

16 hours ago, colin7777 said:

[...]

looking for ideas and recommendations as to how best to create the ground floor foundations, a neighbour used wood and had to then put fire protection under the floor.

[...]

Is that good or bad? Is it too obvious / naive / stupid to suggest you do the same?

30 minutes ago, colin7777 said:

Unfortunately, no bricks, rules seem crazy, wanted Cement/Fibre cladding but they say not allowed, must be 'Fire Risk' wood so it blends in, with what I am not sure as houses opposite are brick and others have render.

Could that be challenged on the same basis that "thou shalt get thy slate fomr 'x' quarry" was challenged in a National Park previously?

38 minutes ago, colin7777 said:

Planning can only stipulate the externals not how it’s built.

I’d use concrete piles and ringbeam,  then some sort of metal deck and then build as standard from then onward. 

This sort of thing. 

https://www.raisedfloor.co.uk/metal-deck/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-LPM-6f14gIVhbTtCh1TrQTtEAAYASAAEgJQ5PD_BwE

Thank you to everyone help, the steel floor type solution looks like a brilliant idea that hadn't been suggested until on here. The reason I didn't really want wood is that the site gets very wet as water seeps up through the soil when river levels rise, especially November - March time.

Fire protection could be added but just seeing if a single solution was available.

Colin