Jump to content

Alan Ambrose

Members
  • Posts

    3392
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    15

Everything posted by Alan Ambrose

  1. >>> Not sure I have a read a single thread on here where anyone says Heatmiser are good I've two set-ups that have been working well for years. These are wired. There is the odd software bug, the bug/feature request 'forum' is a bit 1984, I found the relays are a bit cheap and downrated and the physical design is a bit flimsy in parts. But I'm pretty critical of any product. It does allow us to have a schedule on each room, to set rooms to schedule or standby, a holiday setting (all off except frost protection), remote access etc. I even have a stat in my shed running a blow heater that I can set going in winter sometime before I do some work😁. And Heatmiser don't upgrade the xxxxing software every 5 minutes.
  2. >>> Isn't that just a skylight. Ooooh - what's the philosophical difference between a skylight and a sun tunnel, nice? Not much as there are round skylights. Some sun tunnels just direct light, you can't see out. Circular skylights are usually bigger. I guess the big thing is that skylights nearly always have their aperture parallel to the roof. I'm looking for a vertical tube to put above my showers so that I can see the sky 😁 ... preferably with ends that are parallel to the roof and the internal ceiling.
  3. I would like to be able to see a patch of the sky...
  4. >>> grandchildren Shhh, don't tell them - otherwise your LPA might add them to the protected species list.
  5. Ah, welcome back @GaryChaplin how's your build going? On the subject of new people, I'm seeing a small number of local applications approved for self-build, maybe half-a-dozen in East Suffolk in 2025 - should I contact them?
  6. Short of buying one of each - does anyone have an opinion on the best looking MVHR valves? Most functional? The plaster in ones like Ergovent? In general, does any 125mm make valve fit any make valve adaptor?
  7. @G and J - walked past your place after a sunny breakfast today. You must be pleased at the speed it’s coming along. Yeah understand the pressure to keep moving. OK straw poll peeps - who can make next Thursday?
  8. >>> is it membrane or board It's board. Has nobody used wood fibre recently?
  9. Anyone have any recent experience with blown-in materials? Quality, price, suppliers etc? Also is there much to choose between cellulose / wood fibre / mineral wool? Anything to look out for like ensuring full fill? We have a roughly 50 m^3 new posi-joist 30-degree roof to fill.
  10. Probably not too hard, but you’ll need a Hetas-qualified person to move it. Some flue work, refix the seal into the stove, ensure there is a hearth of the right dimensions and correct distance from anything that can burn. You have a CO alarm? It’s just possible that they need to ā€˜re-install’ to modern regs, which might make it tricky. Easy enough to get a Hetas guy to give you a quote?
  11. Ah, maybe we should chat about the next meeting for the last 5 mins of the previous one. Does next Thurs work @G and J?
  12. @Gary Martin - can I ask - was there are residue or other weirdness after the Aero Barrier guys left? What stage did you call them in? After painting maybe?
  13. Next Thurs maybe?
  14. >>> buy the best That's what I thought too until I actually got them in my hands. Another negative : the roof is black, the panels are black and the rails are .... yeah, silver. Probably cheaper for Renusol to silver anodise rather than black.
  15. The one on the top is the apparently kosher Renusol rail & clamps, with the slightly dodgy pressed steel clamps. 24mm clamp width. The one below is an eBay seller 'Renusol' rail & clamps with proper T-nuts. Much better design IMHO. 18mm clamp width but shorter rails.
  16. @Mike - I was meaning here (below) and yes, the MVHR calcs say a 180mm diameter vent (i.e. 25,000 mm^2) gives 2.3 m/s on boost and the UB19 is 22,000 mm^2 - so 'close enough for government work'. @Kelvin - that's clever, but we don't have any waste running from the garage, and it's also some distance away.
  17. To avoid collision with my PV panels and Velux windows, is there any reason why I shouldn't put my MVHR external vents under the gable soffits using terminals like these? Ventilation Tile UB19 Slates 500mm x 250mm (NJ) Anthracite | Ubbink Also, can I use these, this time on the top of the roof, for SVP vents rather than 110mm pipe? For various reasons, mainly aesthetics, but again I want to avoiding shading my PV panels.
  18. Yes, as a sense check, 200W of LEDs is equivalent to to 40 x 5W LED bulbs - that’s an enormous amount of light. And, even then 200W @ 24V is 8A of current. 1mm^2 cable should handle that very easily.
  19. The subtle thing about higher voltages and LEDs in series is that one failure with bring the whole string / light down - so you’re looking at a shorter lifetime.
  20. That’s quick - what kind of appeal, and was that 7 months from file-to-result or from ā€˜start date’ to result. My gap from file to ā€˜start-date’ was 4 or 5 months from memory.
  21. Ah yes, I ordered a set in - the mid-clamp is indeed 24mm. I'm not that impressed - the clamps don't slide along the rail easily. I guess they will using a rubber hammer or some such. Seems a pity as the aluminium rail itself is good. Anyone have suggestions re better fixing PV systems for trapezoidal roofs?
  22. I’m using PHPP to calc Uw so I just needed the glazing number. Point taken though - the glazing may make inconsequential difference to whole house numbers.
  23. @JohnMo - this kind of thing for multi room? https://www.abilityprojects.com/fan-coil-units?gad_source=1&gad_campaignid=22492647782&gbraid=0AAAAA_dPIDvt0GTJyd8qM3Coah64cNGF4&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuYasioPPkAMVepNQBh1NuhvrEAAYAiAAEgJza_D_BwE How does the ducting compare to MVHR? Much bigger?
  24. Next Thursday maybe? I think IP14-ish is vaguely the middle of our little group? The Bull at Bacton or Debenham Lion?
  25. Be careful re planning amendments and CIL. But congrats on getting the permission - and there’s wealth of info here on just about any self build subject. A picture of the current building maybe?
×
×
  • Create New...