QS Costings versus The Real World Query?

Powerjen

Having spoken with a lender today I'm a wee bit worried about this as they check your plan against QS costs - which is all good and sensible but if you expect to, and are budgeting for, coming in say 20% below then that may well leave you a bit tight on what you can borrow. Any real world experience of that?

On 29/05/2019 at 19:05, PeterW said:

I’ve got my QS spreadsheet that I can share @Powerjen

Like @Bitpipe I had a full QS done by one of the online estimating companies who provided it as PDF. I then took that and converted it to Excel and created a number of lookups so you can change the labour rates etc. Probably took me half a day but was worth it as was used for a number of things including cost reduction and also to look at stages and progress. 

@PeterW and @Bitpipe can I ask who you used as your online QS please? Looks like I might need them. Thanks. 

• 8 months later...

QSs do not generally have the finer inside knowledge to give accurate estimates on single private house projects that are worth less than around £400k. They can provide a document (bill of quantities) that can accompany the specification to get tenders that are on a "level playing  field" even before the drawings are finished. But the fee is difficult to justify on low value contracts.

Edited by coconutsaregood
too much information.