Oil based v Acrylic paint

JanetE

So, time to prime the door frames prior to plastering.  

What's the verdict, oil based, or acrylic paint?  Our decorator likes the oil based stuff best and we really want something that's going to last. So I'm interested in everyone's advice!

Water based doesn't yellow like oil based does, but my go to man for final decorating uses oil. He's a true perfectionist and his work is immaculate, preparation taking up more time than painting of course. 

Water based doesn't 'flow' and settle like oil, as in the brush marks stay in the paint far more than with oil. A way out of that is to roller the panels and only cut / brush the detail where it's not so apparent. 

Fwiw, I hate gloss and went for the water based stuff for the woodwork in mine and it's been on for 4 years and is still brilliant white. Dries super quick and no lingering horrible 'back-of-the-throat' stench that you get with oil. 

As long as your painter ( ? ) understands that oil gloss is a shine NOT a build then you'll get a good result either way. The primer and under coats being built up accordingly is absolutely critical to get the foundation all uniform, flat, and, most importantly, white PRIOR to the final gloss top coat going on. You should not be looking at all for getting colour coverage from the gloss, if your chosen colour is white, it should simply be to put a shine to it so you'll need far less gloss than most would apply. 

Good quality undercoat is your friend, and that, after you've primed and rubbed that back a little first, is the layer you should look to get as flawless as possible so the gloss just lightly flicks over the top. 

Toupret is the filler you want. Fantastic stuff. 

1 hour ago, JanetE said:

So, time to prime the door frames prior to plastering.  

What's the verdict, oil based, or acrylic paint?  Our decorator likes the oil based stuff best and we really want something that's going to last. So I'm interested in everyone's advice!

Prime or undercoat ..? Most of the base coats are water based these days - I tend to use this as it dries quick and sands without clogging paper to take any nibs or crap out of it after a couple of hours. 

http://www.johnstonestrade.com/products/product-display/joncryl-primer-undercoat.aspx