Adam2

Fixing balustrade to ICF

I'm looking into the design options for some terraces which will have a frameless glass balustrade. Other aspects of the design are hollowcore planks resting on the ICF wall.  Simple section view below. The blue is the ground floor ICF wall and grey is the hollow core planks. Red is the extension of the ground floor wall taken up to form the low level wall below glass balustrade poured after the hollowcore is installed.

I was thinking how to take advantage of the concrete pour to secure the fixings for the balustrade and considered setting some bolts into the concrete or even setting the channel that the glass will sit in into the concrete. I believe setting aluminium channel in concrete would not be a good option (reaction, hydrogen, general badness) - possibly could use different material - stainless steel possibly for channel. Or just forget the whole idea and drill into the concrete and mount channel above or to the side (after stripping out ICF).

Appreciate thoughts/experience from others who may have been through the same process.

Thanks

image.png.85bc02b19dad290e3cf0ea9eb38ec903.png

Most of the systems I have seen you drill into concrete and face fix or fix through the base of the channel. This provides a satisfactory fixing and I imagine this is easier than trying to accurately cast the fixings into the concrete.

What is the required finish on the red bit? Is there to be a coping or cill detail for this?

Coping detail from glass to top of rendered ICF.

Was wondering if channel could just be pushed into concrete immediately after pour to provide a very secure fixing and would be potentially quicker and with less materials though only found aluminium channel so far. I imagine an issue with setting the channel could also be concrete ingress at joints or ends... 

I would not bother trying to cast the channel into the concrete as if it is not spot on it will be difficult to remedy. Also the channel will get filled with all sorts of crud.

We have put in some glazing where we used a recessed ali channel but formed the recess out of timber slightly over sized.  We still needed to adjust some bits with a grinder and bolster. Ali trims all round.  Ours slotted into the sides as well because it needed to act as a flood defence.

1826279844_IMG_20190415_1556208341.thumb.jpg.065482b7b0fe4e72bf998247bc75a598.jpg

Have you worked out floor levels with the insulation, waterproofing and fall required on the terrace v 1st floor floor?

• Like 1

Thanks, sounds reasonable. 

Architect is working on levels at the moment, as you mentioned lots to factor in, probably using alwitra and their preformed sloping insulation with adjustable legs supporting tiles above 

Cut to falls insulation is expensive. Cheaper to concrete to falls and use normal insulation.

OK - will see how that could work.  Just looked at cut to fall insulation  - labour on concrete could even it out maybe? I saw xtratherm provide an off the shelf PIR product falling 20mm over 1200. Sounds like could be better than the architect's thoughts on a custom ordered product. Price on that is £91 for 4 sheets 1.2m x 1.2m and I'd need 5 packs so £450 (+ of course the flat insulation to go under) and I'd of course need the insulation anyway.

https://www.insulationsuperstore.co.uk/product/xtratherm-tr-mg-tapered-roof-board-5070mm-5-76m2.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw19DlBRCSARIsAOnfRei5qlgFFPjo2ZiXTMqUn6tLFq4z-VjRi4ErVccQgzgE51KPplO2iYsaAuqtEALw_wcB

Just did some calcs on floor (am sure architect and engineer will be looking at this) looks like above the concrete plank inside will be 50mm insulation + 75 screed + 25 tiles so 150mm and the other side probably 150 insulation (sloping to 100mm) + legs for tiles (20-55mm) + tiles 20mm = ~157mm. I think 50mm PIR is specified under concrete plank in the ground floor ceiling). Feels that having the planks at the same level will simplify the plank install + ICF build/pour but will follow up with the professionals to see what the thinking is there and the orientation of the planks which may only come out after engaging the supplier to get the design done.