morning all,

i've been told elec supply to house needs to be ducted in 100mm duct from supply at boundary to house. i keep being told this is a new reg but nobody seems to have heard of it. water and power going in tomorrow and if i don't need to duct it i'll save a good bit of money.

thanks all

edit to say, that after a few phone calls to various  scottish power numbers, they don't need it ducted, just cabled to a depth where it won't be dug in the garden, just as i thought. i appreciate being given advice on site but i wish it was accurate. pulled out of tailspin and back to relative calm!

Edited by Simplysimon

We were told in writing by SSE (our DNO) that both the diverted underground supply cables and the new supply to the house had to be in 100mm black cable duct.  We laid this, only to be told by the guys that came out to lay the cables that they didn't want the ducting and would rather lay their cable directly in the trenches.  Luckily we hadn't backfilled the trenches, so we just pulled the duct out and let them carry on.

This was five years ago, and was in the contract with SSE then, so I don't think it's either a new rule or one that they adhere to.

6 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

We were told in writing by SSE (our DNO) that both the diverted underground supply cables and the new supply to the house had to be in 100mm black cable duct.  [...]

And ours ( United Utilities) told us the colour had to be red. I had two pre-visits (by Gallaghers, the company making the connection) to check I  had complied, and the cable was duly connected.

Not very far from me - within line of sight- , and about a month later, the same connection crew refused to connect two properties - because they had not supplied the correct specification ducting. The knock-on effect was to keep the road closed for a full week, rather than a couple of hours in our case. It was great.

SPN supplied red ducting, both 100mm x 2, 'just in case of something happening in the future' to cross the road and 30 something to go from 100mm to pole and to meter box was required and used. this question was, however, from meter at boundary where it is staying to house and beyond.

If it is YOUR wiring then direct burying of Steel Wire Armoured is fine, but it is equally okay to put it inside a duct.  I put the sections up through the foundations and into the house in a duct in case for any reason it ever had to be replaced.