Brick Pricing

PeterW

Is it me, or is brick pricing a dark art that is basically a con trick ..?

I think I've found a reasonable match from a major BM chain and they currently have it on their offers page. 

Problem is my local branch (~2 miles) doesn't have it in stock. The next branch (~15 miles) do have it, and have 9,000 which is what I want ..!

Bizarre conversation with the local branch as I've basically been told I will have to pay more for them to buy them in direct from their supplier and pay the delivery of £300 as they are not allowed to clear out another branch of stock ..!!

Can someone explain that please ..??!

This might be to do with what I think is called brick "factoring" in Mark Brinkley's The Housebuilder's Bible.  Apparently once you've contacted one source for a quote, no-one else is allowed to supply you the same bricks.  Apparently the trick is not to give anyone your address until you're sure you can get what you need.

Have you tried ordering from the other branch directly?  Maybe get your wife (or a mate - let's face it, the building trade is a bit sexist!) to order?

• Like 1

I was told by more than one person that bricks were in short supply and expensive ( neighbour paid £1 per brick including delivery etc) my builder was surprised when I told him I could get the tumbled bricks we want ( 12k) at 50p all in, and they were in stock and could be delivered within a week.

Ah yes, 65mm. Didn't realise you were trying to match imperial. I was lucky on my first rebuild, local yard felt sorry for a single chap living in a caravan doing all the work himself on a tight budget, they were demolishing a barn locally built of exactly the same brick and offered me them for 10p each ( uncleared) I ordered 1000 and got about 1500. It was 35 years ago ?.

2 hours ago, jack said:

This might be to do with what I think is called brick "factoring" in Mark Brinkley's The Housebuilder's Bible.  Apparently once you've contacted one source for a quote, no-one else is allowed to supply you the same bricks.  Apparently the trick is not to give anyone your address until you're sure you can get what you need.

Have you tried ordering from the other branch directly?  Maybe get your wife (or a mate - let's face it, the building trade is a bit sexist!) to order?

Isn't that called a "cartel" and illegal?