Howden's Basic Kitchen Quality?

Ferdinand

So I just opened my Howdens' account, thinking of replacing 2 x 1000mm base units in a newly bought terraced house with a galley kitchen, due to a relatively minor damp problem (back of units discoloured after 10 years under previous owner - may start a separate thread on diy DPCs in solid party walls), and this offer appears.

This is the offer available:

Units are 15mm carcase "Hi-Line" in White Smooth, or Light Oak.

Base Cabinets: 500mm x 1, 1000mm x 1, 1000mm corner unit x 1, 600mm (I think) 3 drawer unit, 600mm oven housing unit.

Wall units: 600mm x 2, 600mm half height x 1.

Appliances: Built-in Oven x 1, Integrated Electric or Gas Hob x 1, Extractor x 1. All "Lamona".

Sink: Single bowl sink and pillar taps

Worktop: 2 x 28mm matt laminate

Extras: 10 x Stainless Steel Effect T-Bar

Supplied built.

Cost: £499.99 + VAT

Granite worktops: +£500

Which is a whole kitchen for little more than the price of those 2 units. At the price it seems a steal - if I wanted to fit out my own utility it may be worth buying and throwing the oven etc away. I would expect the appliances to die after a few years, but even replacing these then with a decent brand it is astonishing value.

My impression of Howdens' units is that the usual 18mm carcases are solid, but the range tends to be quite conservative (not necessarily a problem).

Does anyone have any experience of their more basic range?

Thanks

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

Pretty sure that's what we have in our utility room.  Seems fine - they use Blum hardware, which is proving solid so far.  

One minor shortcut they use (at least on the handle-less doors we have) is to cut for hinges on both sides of the door, then blank off the unused ones.  Not the neatest solution, but hey, it's a utility room!

IMG_20160822_155557.jpg   

• Like 1

I fitted the very bottom of the range flat pack Howdens kitchen when refurbishing the kitchen in a rental house we were tidying up to sell.

It was pretty basic but is what I expected from a cheap flat pack and it did the job.

For my own kitchen I would spend more and get one of the rigid kitchens instead.

I am not sure what they are offering. "supplied built" does that mean it's the flat pack basic range and someone has put it together? or it's one of the rigid unit range?

The Lamona appliances are Howsens own brand but they seem okay. If you don't want them for this project then Gumtree is your friend.  

Howdens kitchens are good even the basic quality

The problem is getting a bottom line price

Ive replaced five kitchens over the last ten years

One at home and four rentals (Basic range)

Each time we ask for there best price

Only to be called a month or six weeks later with a sale offer

of around 30% less

11 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I fitted the very bottom of the range flat pack Howdens kitchen when refurbishing the kitchen in a rental house we were tidying up to sell.

It was pretty basic but is what I expected from a cheap flat pack and it did the job.

For my own kitchen I would spend more and get one of the rigid kitchens instead.

I am not sure what they are offering. "supplied built" does that mean it's the flat pack basic range and someone has put it together? or it's one of the rigid unit range?

The Lamona appliances are Howsens own brand but they seem okay. If you don't want them for this project then Gumtree is your friend.  

It is a "complete rigid kitchen package".

Ferdinand

Aside from this offer, October is apparently the best time to buy at Howden's.  They have a big sale, and they're very responsive to offers (especially towards the end of the month) so they can turn over as much stock as they can.  We were told this by one of the contractors we had onsite and he was dead right.

• Like 1

On 22/08/2016 at 15:25, Ferdinand said:

So I just opened my Howdens' account, thinking of replacing 2 x 1000mm base units in a newly bought terraced house with a galley kitchen, due to a relatively minor damp problem (back of units discoloured after 10 years under previous owner - may start a separate thread on diy DPCs in solid party walls), and this offer appears.

Please do start the threat re diy DPC in solid walls - may be of use to me.:)

On 22/08/2016 at 15:25, Ferdinand said:

This is the offer available:

Which is a whole kitchen for little more than the price of those 2 units. At the price it seems a steal - if I wanted to fit out my own utility it may be worth buying and throwing the oven etc away. I would expect the appliances to die after a few years, but even replacing these then with a decent brand it is astonishing value.

My impression of Howdens' units is that the usual 18mm carcases are solid, but the range tends to be quite conservative (not necessarily a problem).

Does anyone have any experience of their more basic range?

Thanks

Ferdinand

slightly different question re opening the account

Are you in the 'trade' or did you say you were a self builder? If so was it easy to open an account?

Can be quite difficult if you're not trade.  Unlikely to get one by saying you're a self builder.

Some have reported success by turning up looking scruffy and builder-like and just bluffing it.

1 hour ago, pauldoc said:

slightly different question re opening the account

Are you in the 'trade' or did you say you were a self builder? If so was it easy to open an account?

I have sufficient rental properties to qualify as a professional landlord if they ask.

They did what seem to be standard credit checks only as far as I can tell.

I am also planning a number of projects over the next couple of years after I recently sold a housing site I have taking through PP over several years - so they will see a decent throughput on the account if they query it later (which they won't).

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

They gave me an account and I'm not in the trade. though I think I said I was and I had to show an invoice from an account for TP which I have,  that seemed enough.  I have used them for a  couple of kitchens and each time, they have to resurect the account as it drops off the system after a year without use. 

• 2 weeks later...

Returning everso briefly to wrap this thread up. (*)

After having a *very* fruitful conversation with the design chappie, during which he spotted a couple of things I had missed and vice-versa, my kitchen is rather too different from the basic package to fit, as:

- I need a couple of extra cupboards.

- A cooker hood (and hence the special cupboard) will not fit in my space.

- I have gone for more durable taps and 38mm not 28mm worktops.

- I have added end-of-run boards to make it look plusher.

I have ended up with a quote for about 750 ukp plus VAT, which is fine. On top of that there will be perhaps 4-5 days labour from my fitter to include clear out, damp proof course, and adding a through the wall fan, and retiling splashbacks and worktop backs etc.

The whole should be around 2k-2.5k or a little more as a project cost. 

I am told that Howdens are doing offers in October different from the LL offer I pointed out.

Ferdinand

(*) writing from the Potts Point Holiday Inn in Sydney before I go out on a wine tasting tour for the next day or two :-). 

10 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

(*) writing from the Potts Point Holiday Inn in Sydney before I go out on a wine tasting tour for the next day or two :-). 

Are you going to the Hunter Valley?  Make sure you try an aged semillion!

I grew up in Sydney, near the foot of the Blue Mountains.  I haven't been back for nearly 8 years, and moving into the new house (and the removal of a lot of the associated stress) has left me with time to get homesick recently.  We're going back next year with the kids.

If you want to visit a beach, head for Bronte instead of Bondi (better yet, walk along the cliffs from Bondi to Bronte and have breakfast at one of Bronte's cafes - the Bogey Hole is, or at least was, awesome).

For amazing food (particularly Thai, which Sydney is famous for) and coffee, head up to Crown Street in Surrey Hills, south of Foveaux St.  You can walk it in around 30 or 40 mins from Potts Point.

Have an awesome time.  I've just been looking at Sydney on Google maps - argh, homesick!

As it happens I have just moved to a hotel at the corner of Wentworth Ave and Liverpool Street, and I was down on Crown Street today to register with Medicare, as one of Etihad's Brazil Nuts removed a filling from my front tooth.

I have done my usual thing in a new city and started with random architectural walks (loving the clapboard houses with corrugated roofs - reminds me of the feel of London mews in semi-industrial areas such as Fitzrovia),

And loving the sushi on the underground as a grab and run hand snack.

But I baulked at the sea anenomes complete with tentacles to be eaten raw and alive from the Fish Market.

Will start a thread in the off topic area as there are plenty of relevant ideas for the forum.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1