Building Control Completion Certificate Detail Required

GHDirect

Hi All

After 5 years I am in the final months of completing my self build bungalow and need to concentrate on key things that are relative to building Control sign off.

Its a labour of love on a tight budget with limited contracted in assistance.

I get on with our council Building Control but before I ask them, has anyone first hand knowledge or even a list of areas they will inspect.

My guess starts at (Air Tightness, Soil Pipework, Mobility access, G3 hot tank, Gas hob, Ventilation, Wood burner, and building Electrics).

There maybe a host more.

Feedback welcome.

GHDirect

In my experience whatever the BCO’s pet subject is. They didn’t really ‘inspect’ all of the things you note. Drain test was one of mine, and a few quirky ones:

Proper fence to rear patio was needed where there was a circa 3 foot drop and we had put sheep netting as a temporary thing;

a mesh cover to a pipe from the boiler on the outside wall;

mobility access was a big deal;

Some of the things I thought they’d be bothered about they weren’t so it might be worth getting them to do your inspection and then get their list of outstanding issues. 

You can claim VAT back on the things you buy between getting the completion certificate and sending in the vat claim (within 3 months) in case you weren’t aware of that. 

We have just recently received our sign off certificate - [ 2-3 weeks ago] and prior to applying for it, I contacted the local authority involved and was informed via an e-mail that they require the following items to be submitted online - Most Councils have a system where this can be completed and submitted electronically.

Building Scotland Act 2003

Applicant Name:  

Plot 1 - Scottish Borders  

Please forward the following items for completion;

·         Electrical certificate

·         Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) - [I received this once the Air Test had been completed]

·         Sustainability Label – a copy, along with the EPC, should be displayed within the dwelling, a cupboard for example. [Again, an online form]

·         Form Q from structural engineer – this relates to the timber roof trusses certificate.

·         Air tightness test results.

·         Completion Certificate Submission Form. Please state the true address for the property.

Upon completion, I received ma visit whereby the areas relating to the Building Regs were checked - Thankfully, there were no issues and the certificate was forwarded on.

All of the above 

The main one with ours is disabled access 

They have informed me that I can build a ramp out of ply and cover it with mineral felt As we intend to pave with a sweeping ramp 

1-20 I think they said 

with a 1200x1200 flat landing by and flush to the door 

Our BCO checked that every separate bit of glass in our windows, some of which had 16 divided lights, had coated glass. He had a special meter to prod each pane with. 

He also went looking for kite marks on every pane of toughened glass. Some were so faint he marked them missing until I pointed them out to him.

Our drain pressure test failed as we hadn't finished a bathroom. Had to tape a plastic bag over the end of a pipe and put water in a trap.

There were loads of things he never checked or missed. Our wood burner was in place but not connected to the chimney as we were waiting for a register plate. No ratings plaque. Oil boiler not commissioned etc.

Edited by Temp