Notching trusses for Lateral restraint straps

James1

Building a timber frame garage with attic trusses above, i have a question about the tying of the gable wall and gable panel to the roof trusses. It states i am to use lateral restraint straps spanning across 3 trusses on the rafters and ceiling joists to the gable panel, is it ok to notch the trusses where the strap passes in order to let the strap sit flush so as to not foul the plasterboard when it gets fitted. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks.

I think I’m right in thinking you have hand cut your trusses, so even though you have used the word truss they are not the engineered version direct from a factory. 

So if you use those Simpson ties that are very thin I would have no problem cutting a 3mm deep notch

but if they are from a factory DO NOT cut or notch any part. 

9 hours ago, PeterW said:

Not if they are engineered trusses. Fit them to the inside or upper surfaces and they are then out of the way or chamfer the back of the plasterboard. 

They are trusses premade from a truss manufacturer.

Found this statement  on a TRA website. Note 1 Notching the bottom  Chords of ‘Room  in the  Roof’  (Attic)  Trusses to a maximum  depth o 5mm  is permitted in order to accommodate gable lateral restraint straps as  required  b Building Regulations. 

• Like 1