Stud Wall Construction & Insulation

zoe61

Sorry if this is covered else where but spent a fair bit of time searching and cant find a definitive answer.

So far this is what I understand, stud walls are to be constructed at either 400 or 600mm centers (600mm means a 12.5mm thickness plasterboard).

Having read a previous blog and looked at the options for insulating these walls (acoustically) the options come in either 400 or 600mm widths meaning you have to cut on site. I will be using 100 x 50mm timber so 50mm will have to be cut off every time which seems a lot of hassle. Why is the insulation not made to fit the actual opening size? Is there a way around this or does it just have to be done?

We are cutting Rockwool on site. It isn’t compressible enough to squeeze 600 into 560. Easy to cut though but takes time.  The offcuts all find a home though......

And our stud walls are all slightly different size gaps - some 570, some 550 and some much smaller. It’s like a big jigsaw and is taking weeks.......

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Weebles said:

We are cutting Rockwool on site. It isn’t compressible enough to squeeze 600 into 560. Easy to cut though but takes time.  The offcuts all find a home though......

And our stud walls are all slightly different size gaps - some 570, some 550 and some much smaller. It’s like a big jigsaw and is taking weeks.......

Thanks- not looking forward to this!

Ill be working with the joiner so ill be trying to get the centres as close as possible to make the plastering work as easy as possible and minimise waste! High aims and all that!

29 minutes ago, Big Neil said:

If you know you're going to use a particular product, why not ask for the spacing to be arranged to that width anyway - assuming that's within building regs. I would imagine that's ok. Minimises the cutting then... or are you timber frame?

Wouldn't that move the issue to further down the line when they come to fit the plaster board? 

I'm sure i'll be corrected, but i don't understand how. You can get rockwool (or whatever you use) at a 100mm depth. Something will need cutting somewhere and I guess if you're going to get someone in for the boarding they could probably do it quickly as a pro where you or I as an amateur stuffing woolly stuff in holes, are more in need of it being simplified. Doesn't plasterboard come in different sizes as well - couldn't that be factored in to compensate?