Two Storey Extension

Hi Everyone,

I am new here and about to undertake a large project on our new home.

I'm looking for some input on a two storey extension we are planning. Any idea/concerns with what has been designed so far.

The entire house requires refurbishment, rewire, all walls/ceilings plastered, floorboards lifted and relaid and overfloor wet underfloor heating being installed throughout.

Ground floor is adding a WC and kitchen, making current kitchen a utility(low ceiling) and opening dining room into new kitchen. There will be a step down from dining room to kitchen.

Mid landing is making the current bathroom much larger above the new WC.

First floor is adding a large bedroom.

We did plan to have an en suite or dressing room in the new room but found the bedroom ended up too small.

The will be mainly DIY so a big challenge, we have plenty time but want to get the layout right.

Thanks!

50542044_2664410550250711_248219672002953216_n.jpg

50295353_2664410270250739_2084159762584305664_n.jpg

Edited by shaunf17

Are the utility and dining rooms in the existing house? Have to admit a loo off a kitchen never appeals to me much in truth. Years ago you had to have 2 doors between a loo and a living room / kitchen. 

10 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Not sure what is going on with the stairs.

I read it as the existing kitchen, that becomes the utility has a low ceiling. The stairs go to a half landing above that then turn back to access the original part of the house.  The bathroom is being built at half landing height above the low ceiling utility room, and thae are a few steps up from the half landing to the new bedroom in the extension.

That must however make the new downstairs WC a low ceiling as well?

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

I read it as the existing kitchen, that becomes the utility has a low ceiling. The stairs go to a half landing above that then turn back to access the original part of the house.  The bathroom is being built at half landing height above the low ceiling utility room, and thae are a few steps up from the half landing to the new bedroom in the extension.

That must however make the new downstairs WC a low ceiling as well?

Spot on @ProDave

The old kitchen/new utility is a step down so the entire extension will be a step down from dining room.  Ceiling height in the low areas are 2.1m. The rest is 2.85m downstairs. Upstairs has a slope in each room but minimum height is 1.8m rising to 2.8m so actually pretty decent.

A081D391-B599-4CCE-BD37-AEE45F165CB0.jpeg

A33C4D0D-FEA3-4773-9B90-0F2436396501.jpeg

E23BE796-B92B-48AE-9368-25BDE364E4FC.jpeg

EAC920B3-03A8-483F-B6C6-36B6F84D1544.jpeg

3 hours ago, newhome said:

Are the utility and dining rooms in the existing house? Have to admit a loo off a kitchen never appeals to me much in truth. Years ago you had to have 2 doors between a loo and a living room / kitchen. 

@newhomeYes they are existing. Point noted on wc door. Much more private.

Edited by shaunf17

@shaunf17 Is the garage really required? Using the garage space as living space and building on top of the garage to add more first floor space could make a big difference to the house.

Can you note the dimensions of the various rooms please?

Some of the bedrooms look a bit small.

Looks like the ground floor hallway, dining room, utility room and GF WC might be dark as they wont have much/any natural light.

I'm not keen on the pathway to access the kitchen through the dining room.

As others have mentioned having the WC accessed from the kitchen isn't ideal.

If budget permitted I would be looking to use the garage space as living space which would then allow you to have an extra hall way to access the kitchen and the WC.

on the first floor building on top of the garage would allow a master ensuite a family bathroom and better sizes for bedrooms 1, 2 and 3.

@ultramods The garage is not required but would need demolished. I'm not convinced we can afford to do side and rear extensions and the side seems much more involved as there is a chimney in the living and dining rooms. The garage is about 2.8m wide and on the boundary line. It would only involve an extra 12m of external wall and foundations...but then the roof and steel I expect would be a lot? Image from the front below

I'm not sure i understand the extra hallway, where would this be?

The ground hall gets light from panes above the doors, the wc will have a window, utility will also have small window. dining I'm "hoping" will get light from the kitchen bifolds.

Room sizes are

Existing

Living - 4.6 x 4m

Dining - 3 x 4m

Bedroom 1 - 3 x 3m with awkward cutout at entrance

Bedroom 2 - 3.8 x 2m

Bedroom 3 - 3.8 x 3m

Utility - 2.85 x 2.6m

Extension:

Bedroom 4 - 4.6 x 4.6m

Kitchen - 4.6x 4.6m

WC - 2 x 1.7m