POE lighting

Pocster

This website seems to show the system a little better (or an earlier version) - http://www.kenon-digi.com/products.php?productId=14

From what I can see each downlight would have it's own network cable back to a PoE enabled network switch, your total power would then be limited by the capabilities of the PoE switch. With corporate gear you can push the full 25 watts per port (i.e. per downlight) - home equipment tends to have the total PoE capacity shared between a few ports so you may only be able to put a few downlights on each network switch.

It's certainly an interesting concept, I've seen it done in datacenters before, saves having to run in any lighting circuits and you've got oodles of catX cabling handy. I expect it's pricey tho - a quick google shows list price of £200 approx per downlight!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pocster said:

I did wonder this ....

If this is DC hence no rectification losses then I read somewhere that 3w is equivalent to 30 to 60w incandescent. Could a cluster of 4 downlights be switched off a single network switch port?

11 hours ago, epsilonGreedy said:

If this is DC hence no rectification losses then I read somewhere that 3w is equivalent to 30 to 60w incandescent. Could a cluster of 4 downlights be switched off a single network switch port?

I typically buy 4W or 5W LED downlights each providing around 400 to 450 Lumens which I consider equivalent to a 240v 50W halogen downlight (note that 240v 50w halogen down lights arent as bright as 12V 50W halogen downlights so you need them closer together).

I have five 7W POE IP cameras on one hub so I'd say yes its easily possible to run four 4w or 5w LEDs on a good hub.

Edited by Temp