Extractors: Gaggenau vs Bora vs Miele

curly

5 hours ago, ryder72 said:

An extractor in vented mode would get rid of smell, steam and trap grease.

In recirculation mode, particularly in houses with MVHR systems, the MVHR deals with the smell and steam remarkably effectively. However, grease is another matter. If the grease isnt trapped, its going to go somewhere. Typically this will end up on the units, worktop, floor & even walls in the room making these harder to clean and also a breeding ground for bacteria and fungus. It also tends to start smelly musty in time. This obviously does depend on individual cooking habits.

A good extractor is worth it.

Most of the venting hobs, while very good, command a substantial premium over most other alternatives. Only the user can decide what this is worth to them but personally .

I don't think that there can be a general answer as to whether an extractor is needed or not.  We never, ever, fry foods, nor do we roast food, in fact I'm pretty sure we never use fat or oil when cooking (as in I can't find any in our cupboards).  As such, water vapour and smells are the only thing the ventilation system has to deal with, and there's no sign of anything in the extract ducts at all, so far.

I contacted a supplier for a quote on the Novy panorama - a very stylish bit of kit.  Sadly, way out of my price range as the best price they would offer was £3580.  Eek!  I thought the Gutmann abajo was expensive (quoted £2300 inc VAT) but not stratospherically so like the Novy one.  Never mind.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry if it's not the done thing to piggy back onto a similar topic and ask further questions.

I'm currently in discussion with 2 different kitchen companies regarding designing a kitchen, and if things proceed well, one or the other may get the job to supply and install.  Both do know I'm not yet committing myself to them.  I continue to look for other companies, separately.

My only working surface will likely be an island in my preferred plan with both.  This will have both sink and hob as a consequence, and I want to be able to eat at the island.  It's open plan to dining area and then to hall and living space, so I want to keep clutter on the island to a minimum.  

Owing to house design, I've been warned that ceiling extraction is not an option.  I also have to find a recirculating solution, as externally vented is not an option.  (Good ventilation in the kitchen area is a separate issue, and I can even have the option of a booster switch to enhance ventilation and extraction of air at the moment, subject to cost.)  FYI, I'm a keen cook and smells from, for example, Indian or Chinese food are things I've thought about hence the enhanced ventilation.  However, as somebody who uses their existing (externally vented) cooker hood all the time, I'm aware of how much muck/grease it will remove from the air that would otherwise work it's way into the house ventilation system otherwise.

So I'm looking at hobs and extractors sited at the island, and combinations of these 2 functions.  I have seen several separate 'pop up' back draught extractors, and also those that form a slot between 2 sets of induction hob pairs.  There are also combi units that include the slot with the induction hob or have a central round extractor in the middle of 4 induction hot spots. 

I'm veering towards the countertop extractors rather than the back draught/down draught models as I don't like how they look, and mistrust the up/down action - what a pain if it gets stuck up!

One of the kitchen companies is suggesting the round ones would suit me best - either Bora who have more than 1 version already available or the Elica Nikolatesla which won't be available in the UK until March.  Of those 2, the Elica has the benefit that you can have a cleaner look when not in use as there's a flip cover over the vents.

The other company is suggestion I go for a slot type of which Air Uno make 3 that would work, or there's a Miele TwoInOne.  I'm told these have much more compact workings below the work surface so I loose less cupboard space.

Of these several models and brand, only the Elica has dishwasher washable filters, all the rest are replacement charcoal filters that I know from past experience is an expensive route, or they become obsolete long before the extractor packs up. 

Anything else I'm missing in all of this?

Those who've trodden this path already or have experience of installing kitchen may also have other comments to make that I've not yet considered, so all input will be much appreciated.

DHDreamer

• 6 months later...
On 19/12/2018 at 20:50, Luke Salter said:

Hi ,  I'm the London Area Sales Manager for BORA. If you have any questions - please let me know.

Many thanks. 

How much is a bora basic? Quite an easy question but I'm struggling to find the answer to it?

Examples are the BORA Basic BI 80cm 4 Zone Induction, & the BFI 90cm Flex Induction. 

We also have just released the BORA Pure which will supersede the BI.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

If you want other detailed information then feel free to contact me via PM

2019_bora_pure_pued_rehkarree.jpg

Edited by Nickfromwales

I have found finding the price of all these types of built in appliances is far harder than you would guess.   You can google for a price of any old washing machine brand and get a specific price or several, but the moment you go for built in appliances, especially for the German brands, you cannot get a price.   They are often (or maybe it's just certain models or ranges) seemingly only available from kitchen retailers and the price depends on what the relationship is between the manufacturer and the retailer and what discounts the retailer gets from the manufacturer.  I've struggled to get prices of BORA and Siemens integrated appliances but can find prices online for Elica kit, for example. 

DHD

• 1 month later...
On 05/12/2018 at 19:56, lizzie said:

I have the Bora with flexi induction think it was about 3k but I would have to check.  I much prefer it to the extractors that come up out of the counter (had that before). The Bora is very efficient and so easy to clean.  I am extremely happy with the Bora....I would go for the flexi option its worth the extra money. The teppanyaki pan is amazing as an extra, my kitchen supplier gave it to me as a gift. I love it.

What do you use teppanyaki for? Other than the actual Asian dish?

On 22/07/2019 at 13:00, DreamHouseDreamer said:

I have found finding the price of all these types of built in appliances is far harder than you would guess. 

I take the view that if I have to ask it's probably too much for me and I don't bother. We we're invited to a cooking demonstration at high end kitchen place. All very cool kit but I got a fit of the giggles when I was told the built in coffee machine was over £5 grand.

• Like 1

Yup, Ralph.   I'm absolutely with you on that.  All those integrated appliances are eye wateringly expensive, but a hob that I will be using all the time, I would find better value for money than some of those other gadgets.   If you think those built in coffee machines have crazy prices, you've not seen the price of those glass doored wine fridges (even ones that only hold 5 bottles) or perhaps a Zip all in one tap, lol.

I'm also still waiting to hear what on earth you cook in a teppanyaki pan, I thought they were large flat surfaces.

DHD

• Like 1

Larry Page (from Google) had the 'toothbrush test'. Anything that you use as often as a toothbrush is worth investing in. So I kinda have to say such a coffee machine would fall under that, although I am very happy with my 'on worktop' Barista XL.. A teppanyaki device? Probably not? Same with the wine fridge (for me, at least).

You can use a teppanyaki for everything that you use a flat frying pan for-

frying burgers/steaks

grilling veg/fish/meat

Granted its a very expensive appliance with relatively little use depending on cooking style. Often a flexible induction hob with a teppan/griddle plate is a more sensible option.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Hello everyone - I'm now at that stage of choosing induction and extractor.  A couple of years on does anyone have any feedback on the choices made back in 2018, or any purchases made since then?  Good or bad feedback about a choice made is always helpful!  Many thanks