Cartlodge

Clare

Hi there.  My husband and I are about to start converting the loft space above our cartlodge and were looking for advice regarding external staircases. We want to have an oak outside staircase but realise that green oak will shrink and move over time and that might affect it's stability. Kiln dried oak is incredibly expensive. Do any users have experience with oak external staircases?

many thanks!

Edited by Clare

I don't think you'd want to use kiln dried wood externally as you'd be taking from a kiln dried, low moisture atmosphere into a higher moisture (assuming you're in the UK) atmosphere - the wood will want to re-absorb external moisture which negates some of the kiln drying benefit. Rather than green oak (not dried), why not use air dried timber in combination with Peter's suggestion above - it should have a moisture content which is more at equilibrium with where you want to use it and so should reduce the risk of shrinking/twisting in the wood.

Also, there are plenty of other kinds of wood which have a nice finish and can be used externally, so if cost is an issue, don't be fixated on oak.

+1 dont use kiln dried but there are loads of examples of oak external stairs - they do move and split but provided you get the grain going in the right direction they won't warp too much.  It might also depend on the external environment a bit. If it's wet / wooded / north facing then it will very soon grow algi and get slimy which can be a problem. If open / south facing it should be fine. So if using steel with treads you need to watch out for this or buy a jet washer.

Thanks all. I’m really enjoying reading your responses. Would happily avoid kiln dried due to cost so pleased to hear it may not be the best option in any case. The structure is already clad in weathered oak so ideally we’d want the staircase to match it ultimately in look. I assume other hardwood options would have quite a different appearance.

Steel definitely has its benefits but it is on the front facade of the house and driveway and I want to avoid the ‘fire escape’ look.

659AA1C7-9940-47A0-8836-A7A5088FAB64.jpeg