Demolition and Plasterboard Removal

Barney12

Our plan is to demolish on a semi-DIY basis with our friendly groundworker swinging is 20t digger about after we've removed windows etc.

We still havn't quite decided on what to do with plasterboard. I assume it won't muck away as its now considered a contaminate and I don't really want to bury it in the garden. Thankfully we've only got a few rooms with plaster board so I'm wondering if the answer is simply to kick it down and order a plasterboard skip. I recon I'll get away with a 5t skip.

Having spoken to a few muck away firms, they all want the plasterboard separated, they also have varying pricing for percentage of plasterboards in the muck. You can check your council's plasterboard policy at their disposal site, those too can vary from council to council.

Can work out quite cheap if your council's disposal site accepts them delivered in a van

And, buy the best face mask you can. I tried 3M disposal ones (5 for £10) and it was not great, I tried the one that looks like you are removing asbestos for £15 (disposable one and you can't change filters) and it was superb

Edited by jayroc2k
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, jayroc2k said:

Having spoken to a few muck away firms, they all want the plasterboard separated, they also have varying pricing for percentage of plasterboards in the muck. You can check your council's plasterboard policy at their disposal site, those too can vary from council to council.

Can work out quite cheap if your council's disposal site accepts them delivered in a van

Our local recycling centres are a joke in Devon. They class ALL household building type waste (even from normal DIY activities) as non household and thus state that they have no obligation to take. Costs are eye watering. A single bag of soil or rubble is £2.10 and a bag of plasterboard is £4.00. And now they are complaining that cost of clearing up fly tipping is soaring!! I wonder why!!

Same happening in Northumberland Barney as regards any rubble or building waste no matter completely DIY is now charged for. In a way I can see why it has come in as several times when using our local recycling centre I've seen guys dumping rubble etc who are quite plainly trade, and I guess that's what has triggered this (though my own council deciding they need to relocate to a new £20 million town hall in their political heartland whilst claiming hard up may also be a feature!) - though such types are also the most likely ones to start dumping now of course. I also imagine there will be a lot more going into holes in the ground on site!

See my thread here - 

It's not impossible to get rid of PB, just more expensive.

If feasible, you can dispose of it on site - it's not a harmful substance per se (obviously since we live with it) but it reacts with normal landfill.

I looked into the industry PB removal schemes but they're geared towards developers and new PB off cuts and don't work for domestic or self builders. 

As Nick says, some disposal is done by weight, the local firm we use (who have supplied all our skips so far) went by skip volume.

When our old house was demolished (a year ago today!) the whole lot, brick, tiles, timber and all, were carted off in two of those huge skips  - presumably to be crushed and sold on as type 1. I'm sure we got some of it back a few weeks later (spotted very similar parquet floor pieces) :)