NMA rejected, which way forward?

willbish

I submitted a single NMA to change roof covering from pan tiles (reclaimed from now demolished property) to slate.

I stated that as I will be fitting a solar PV array to both East and West elevations (mentioned in original PP) an all black, in-roof panel system would be better complimented by slates rather than contrasting clay.

The front elevation will have PV panels covering the majority of the roof so that the pan tiles will only be a couple tiles wide all the way around the perimeter. In my view this draws attention to the roof and does not help the property settle/blend with the neighbourhood.

In my area (greenbelt, not conservation area) clay tiles are in the majority and considered the safe bet when pleasing planners. However although my immediate neighbour is clay the church 40metres away is slate. All the listed buildings in the village are slate.

I get the feeling the LPA havent considered this NMA with the specific details of this case. But with no right to appeal, what are my options?

I am thinking do nothing until all the PV panels are fitted and then, if possible, get the planning officer on site and get him to agree that adding a perimeter of clay tiles would look grisly, then have another go at submitting another NMA.

What was the reason given for rejection? Have they accepted that the change would be non-material but are blocking it, or are they suggesting it is not non-material (ie. you'd have to resubmit to planning?)

Edited by AliMcLeod

Decision notice:

The proposed development, by reason of its materials will be out of keeping with, and will
be harmful to the character and apperance of, the street scene and local area, contrary to
policy CS12 of the North Somerset Core Strategy, policies DM32 and DM38 of the North
Somerset Sites and Policies Plan (Part 1) and the North Somerset Residential Design
Guide SPD (Section 2: Appearance and Character of house extensions and alterations).

56 minutes ago, AliMcLeod said:

Well, it is literally a proposed material amendment ;)

Can any amendment truly not involve a change of material? 

57 minutes ago, AliMcLeod said:

Did you review the policies referenced?

Nope, it's on the night time reading list

58 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Did you have a planning condition on materials samples (to be submitted and approved etc)?

No planning conditions mention any material type

59 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

- can you not resubmit the new proposed tile?

Would love to but what format would the submission take?

OK does the current approval have a condition saying something like "..the development be carried out in accordance with the approved plans.."?  If so, you can do an application for variation of this condition and the fee is £34 for a householder.  Just submit the revised plans with the application, showing the new roof covering and a covering letter explaining that this is the only change and the reasons it should be approved.

33 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

the development be carried out in accordance with the approved plans.."? 

Exactly this

34 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

you can do an application for variation of this condition and the fee is £34 for a householder.

That's cheaper than the NMA fee I just wasted! Great will give it a go, thanks