Working platform

Stones

One of the longer term issues I have to consider is how I facilitate maintenance (primarily decorating and checking MVHR outlets) of my vaulted ceiling.

Working off the builders tower platform to put in my MVHR ductwork was not a pleasant experience, primarily because of the height the working platform had been set at, and it being a touch on the wobbly side.  

Ideally I'm looking for a platform height of between 8' and 9' and am really just thinking about what my options are.  

A scaffolding box or some kind of scaffolding tower / trestle system seem the obvious answers.  I'd rather not work off a ladder if I can help it, although this may be the simplest solution given the limited amount of use it will get.  Are there any other options I have missed?

Scaffold tower on wheels seems the most logical solution, the larger the better. Aluminium would be easier but more expensive.

But don't rule out ladders. Our community hall has a ceiling height of probably about 18 feet, and they have a VERY large stepladder with outriggers for that and it's very stable.

When you say the builders tower was wobbly, was that the same cuplock scaffold that they used outside?  That's normally pretty stable. Did they "forget" the diagonal braces?

I am keeping almost half of my Kwikstage scaffold, and one set of that I will probably scrub up and repaint for indoor use for the same reason.  I just need to find some cheap wheels for it.

I bought a couple of sets of this at the start of my build,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-D-I-Y-Steel-Scaffold-Tower-Scaffolding-Tower-4x4x18wh-HD-/351676015741?hash=item51e186247d:g:hekAAOxy4XNSQr~7

Pros:

fairly cheap,

small sections (easy to store)

looks crap (less likely to be stolen)

very quick to put up

Cons:

2' increments

need to buy boards

no wheels ( possibly an extra?)

supposedly there dangerous

only 4' wide.

If I'm brutally honest for the jobs you listed a decent step ladder is probably the best option in terms of storage, erection time and cost,

how many hours are you realistically going to spend on it? 

13 hours ago, Stones said:

I'm looking for a platform height of between 8' and 9' and am really just thinking about what my options are.  

I had a similar problem, with a vaulted ceiling.  I bought a set of lightweight aluminium warehouse steps.  These can be dismantled when not needed, but provide a stable platform to work from.  Search ebay for likely candidates.

Colin

Edited by pulhamdown
correct link
  • Like 1

Having looked at the warehouse steps / ladders, they look like a decent compromise.  TBH, I can't see me using whatever I buy that often, as there will really only be three requirements - cleaning, accessing MVHR vents, and decorating.  

The bulk of the decorating would be done by roller on an extended pole, so I only need to reach the apex to cut in around light fittings etc.  Lights themselves will be long pendants so once fitted, changing a bulb is from ground floor level. General cleaning (cobwebs etc) could probably be done using a duster on an extendable pole.  MVHR outlets, will perhaps need adjustment and cleaning from time to time.

Realistically then, maybe twice a year for MVHR outlets and every 3 years for decorating.  Cleaning / checking gutters is probably the other use for which a ladder would be used for, and certainly one with a decent platform height, would work well.