Costs to split a title?

Does anyone have experience of splitting titles?

The situation is that I am looking at a detached house with a separate cottage, currently on a single title.

The plan might be to extend the cottage, split the titles, and sell one or the other as a separate property.

I am estimating 10-12k plus 5k contingency for service splitting (elec, gas, water, phone) and fees, given that there is nothing difficult (it is all in the nearby road) and no insurmountable planning constraints as far as I know. The only new gas supply I ran in recently to a property was 

Am I allowed now to leave 2 properties teed off a single shared water supply with separate meters at the property? 

Obviously it may make sense to move into one or the other first for CGT reasons. I don't need advice on that point.

Thanks for any experiences.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

Watch out for covenants on the titles that may give certain rights to the cottage.... been bitten by that one !

Shared water is fine, you will find if you ask ST to split your feed they will do it at the boundary so most of the cost will be yours anyway. Unlikely they are on a shared electricity supply, phone you will have to deal with Openreach so good luck with that....

5 hours ago, PeterW said:

Watch out for covenants on the titles that may give certain rights to the cottage.... been bitten by that one !

Can you say in what way. 

Curious as in the process of buying a house where this has been done and there has been a bit of a ding dong about the access. 

Here you are. 

Alterations to title status .... look at September 2015.

In terms of the services, they are simply new connections. The Devil in me thinks I should have a secret set of services connection from our current house to our new house (being built in the orchard) . We intend to sell our current house to finance the latter stages of Salamander Cottage.

I have already 'informally' connected power and water from  our current house to Salamander Cottage. 

The cost you mention for service splitting is maybe a bit high.

32 minutes ago, Roger440 said:

Can you say in what way. 

Curious as in the process of buying a house where this has been done and there has been a bit of a ding dong about the access. 

One was an old covenant granting rights of a cottage to the farm on which it was based to the family of the farmer ...! Not enacted however as when it had been split the covenants had been duplicated on each property (farmhouse and cottage) meaning an expensive insurance policy would be required as it was a disposal sale and the family still had ties to the area. Suffice to say, didn't bid in the end ..!

Also had fun with a covenant granting access to a barn (conversion) that granted right of way on something that the owner of the land no longer had rights over....