Sharing utilities trench work with a neighbour - any issues?

Roz

We were at site today speaking to a groundworks company about getting our water and electricity connected when a neighbour came out to say they want to replace their water pipe as it keeps breaking. They suggested combining forces and laying their pipe at the same time. 

Obviously we'd ask them to pay half the trench price right? Can anyone see any issues with doing this? 

12 minutes ago, Roz said:

[...]

Can anyone see any issues with doing this? 

Thinking long term.......

• what happens when you sell?
  • how do you identify yours from theirs in 10 years?
  • maintenance
  • laying at the same time...... how on earth can that be organised - four contracts, possibly several providers

It makes too much sense to do it this way.  I mean if wimmin rooled the world it would  be done the sensible way, but they don't.

Yet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

Thinking long term.......

• what happens when you sell?
  • how do you identify yours from theirs in 10 years?
  • maintenance
  • laying at the same time...... how on earth can that be organised - four contracts, possibly several providers

It makes too much sense to do it this way.  I mean if wimmin rooled the world it would  be done the sensible way, but they don't.

Yet.

We'd all have our own pipes so I don't think selling would be an issue (if thats what you mean). It's just sharing the trench really. The trench wouldn't cross either of our properties in a 'joint' capacity, it would just go up to our drives and split into our properties. 

The groundworks guy seemed to suggest he'd lay pipes and ducting then leave it open at the ends for the providers to connect the services, paid for separately by each of us I would imagine. So the only shared bill would be the groundwork's trench running along the unclaimed, unadopted lane that 4 properties share. 

It seems like a good idea but don't want to get ourselves into a tricky situation by not thinking it through properly! 

Identifying our pipes in 10 years did have me wondering though. 

This is where I get my ducting. This guide of theirs may be of interest:

https://www.drainagepipe.co.uk/guides-and-tips/ducting/guides-and-reviews/top-tips-for-using-underground-ducting/

Should just add that some DNOs insist on red rather than black duct for "electricity", in Scotland in particular I believe.

Edited by Onoff
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Onoff said:

This is where I get my ducting. This guide of theirs may be of interest:

https://www.drainagepipe.co.uk/guides-and-tips/ducting/guides-and-reviews/top-tips-for-using-underground-ducting/

Got mine from IQ Builders Merchants - by far the cheapest place I found:

Twinwall Black Duct 125mm x 6m:   Drainage Pipe = £38.74

IQ BM = £20.66

63mm Blue Flexi Duct x 50m:    Drainage Pipe = £76.13

IQ BM = £54.12

I could go on, I spent a lot of time trying to finding cheap ducting! - but there may be better out there that I missed.

On another note - is identifying pipes later really an issue?  Maintenance?  What maintenance is anyone planning on doing to a pipe laid 750mm below ground level?  Surely the location of the boundary box will affect the situation as you only need concern yourself with any pipe after the meter, before belongs to the water board?

I see no reason not to lay two ducts in the one trench.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Roz said:

We were at site today speaking to a groundworks company about getting our water and electricity connected when a neighbour came out to say they want to replace their water pipe as it keeps breaking. They suggested combining forces and laying their pipe at the same time. 

Obviously we'd ask them to pay half the trench price right? Can anyone see any issues with doing this? 

I have just dug a trench and combined with the chap who is building in the plot I have just sold to him. I have purposely waited to share the utilities cost as it makes sense to do it at the same time. We have shared  everything and both have saved money by doing it this way. You may need to dig a wider trench than if it was purely for your own property. Some on here have laid everything at the same level but we where not allowed so had to have the water at 750mm with a 300mm separation (ish) and then elec, comms and gas above as per the utility company spec.

• Like 1

Every footpath in the country is a mix of different services at different depths and most of the older stuff isn't near the proper depths.

Just take plenty of pics and  accurate measurements just incase. Make sure all the ducts are covered with marker tape. 

If it saves you some money then fire away.